How to clean larger brew kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm moving up from a 7 gallon pot to a larger brew kettle that has a ball valve, false bottom and a front facing thermometer. I got a brand new polar ware kettle at Goodwill for $25 which was a huge surprise to see that there. Now i'm concerned with how i'm going to clean this kettle before and after use.

Right now if i were to clean with my normal pot, i'd take it up to the bath tube and use PBW with hot water. My pot is just big enough to fit right in the tub. This brew kettle is way bigger and i'm not sure how to approach it. Maybe balance it on the edge of the tub and use the shower sprayer to clean it. I could go outside and use a hose but it would be cold water and probably freezing outside in the winter.

Is this a concern with anyone else? I'm going to use BIAB and not the false bottom so i am not worried about grains. Thanks again!

All in one since i'm doing a BIAB. That way the mess isn't that bad with cleaning out the false bottom with grain. I'm also brewing indoors which might make it a bit more work but that's just want i'm used to.

That's the plan but it won't fit in my tub. I will put it on the edge and do my best.

Just curious if other people have issues with cleaning larger kettles.

Hi. You don't say where you are doing your brewing. If it's someplace where you can run water (i.e. for a CFC or IC,) and drain, then can you do a modified Clean In Place (CIP?) I don't have a super large pot (and now I'm using a Grainfather,) but when I chill, I direct the hot water out of the chiller into a 5gal bucket, add PBW and use it to clean my gear and pot. Once I'm done cleaning with the PBW water, I put that in the washing machine to wash my brewing towels and rags (or other clothing/towels.) Since it usually takes more than 5 gals to chill, I fill a second 5 gallon bucket with just hot water, and use that to rinse the gear/pot, put it back into the bucket, and throw that into the washer as well. So it seems you have a choice...drag a dirty/hot pot upstairs to the bathroom to clean, or lug two 5 gal buckets to the washing machine (or just drain.) Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:

I use a 20 gallon pot BIAB. It doesn't weigh much. I just put it on the edge of the kitchen sink, give it a rinse with the faucet on spray to get most crud out. Then fill with about a 1/2 gallon of water and put back on the stand. Give it a good wipe down with a sponge, rinse on sink edge...done

I moved from a 7 gallon to a 15 gallon. It's not quite a keggle or as big as other pots but its really wide. I'll clean as i used to and place on the ledge of the tub. I just wanted to hear how others clean their kettles.

If it is to large to clean indoors, buy a white potable water hose and clean it outside using PBW and/or Barkeepers Friend. You also could install a deep scullery sink for cleaning this and your other brewing related equipment if you have a dedicated brew room or area. That is what I did.

I'm not sure why you need to put the kettle in your tub?
When I scrub a kettle, I dump in in my cleaner of choice, a little hot water and take a scotch-brite pad and scrub all the solids off. Then rinse with hot water, dump it in the sink and rinse again. Set it upside down to drain, dry and done.

Doesn't matter how big the kettle is, if you can reach the bottom, you can clean it with this method.

If you don't have one already, you need to rig up a spray nozzle on a hose that you can connect to your hot water faucet.

Latest posts

Back