How to clean a used Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike8228

Reaction score
So I bought a kegerator with a couple of taps on it. It came with regulators and lines and taps already set up. But I can see that there was residual beer in the lines, dry or not, I’m not sure yet. What is the best way of cleaning out systems like this, especially in this condition?

Do I fill a keg with PBW and pressurize it and pump it through the system? And or the same with Star San? I have a keg line cleaner brush that’s long, not sure if long enough.

Are the hoses that are already there still ok or do I need to replace them?

Follow up question, once a keg runs out, can you just hook a new one up to the system or would you normally clean and re-sanitize the lines?

I'd replace the hoses no matter what they look like.
As far as the rest of the hardware - taps and such, I would take them apart and clean them as much as possible.
Make sure the regulator is still good - test if possible with pressure making sure there's no leaks.

|As far as the follow up - it depends. if you're going with a similar style, you can probably get away with just hooking it up, but you probably want to clean the lines every so often anyways, depending on how long it takes to get through a keg. |THings can get gungy in there even if it's used a lot. Someone I know with a kegerator will clean after every couple kegs, and replace lines every 5 to 10, depending on how long it takes.

I'd replace the hoses no matter what they look like.
As far as the rest of the hardware - taps and such, I would take them apart and clean them as much as possible.
Make sure the regulator is still good - test if possible with pressure making sure there's no leaks.

|As far as the follow up - it depends. if you're going with a similar style, you can probably get away with just hooking it up, but you probably want to clean the lines every so often anyways, depending on how long it takes to get through a keg. |THings can get gungy in there even if it's used a lot. Someone I know with a kegerator will clean after every couple kegs, and replace lines every 5 to 10, depending on how long it takes.
Do you want to us the same food grade type hoses used in transferring kettle to kettle and fermenter when brewing or is there a special type of hose for this?

new beer lines. swap to forward sealing faucets. clean the f*k outta everything else.

Back