How to check gravity mid-fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaplanfx

Reaction score
I have been reading the forums and I keep seeing people talking about getting their gravity down to 1.010 (just for example purposes) after only 4 days. I'm wondering how you are testing the gravity in mid fermentation? I have a hydrometer but there is no way I could get a significant sample without completely disturbing the brew, so I always have to wait until I think fermentation is finished to get a sample. I'm typically using a 6 gallon glass carboy with a carboy cap and an 3 piece airlock, I'd have to take off the top and expel the c02 buildup to get a sample.

-kap

I bought what is called a "Wine Thief", the plastic three piece type that I can sanitize easily and then pull just enough for a sample to measure and taste test. (The taste test is more important to me, I'm impatient). I have had this one for over ten years, can't break it, easy to clean. I love it.
You can order them from almost any online HBS.

+2 i have both a turkey baster and a theif. I would recommend though to leave your brew at least a week undisturbed and would advise not to take samples for hydro readings when there is a ton of Krausen. The yeast know what they're doing :tank:.

The people who mention that it's 1.010 have also noticed that fermentation seems done, so they aren't trying to pull a sample through the krausen.

I always wait until fermentation is finished, before I even think about an SG reading. Otherwise, there is no point.

I like to leave the OG sample sitting next to the fermenter. It will finish faster, but otherwise a good indicator.

You will not disturb the carbon dioxide gas, for it is heavier than air. So don't worry about that. ;)

+1 to the turkey baster or wine thief. I use a turkey baster, personally.

Cheers,

Bob

What if the carboy is 6.5 gallons and the wort is 5 gallons, and neither my turkey baster nor my thief can make it to the top of the beer? Does tipping it "spill" carbon dioxide or no?

Is it o.k. to simply lift the lid off an ale pail and check the gravity? I don't have a thief or a baster.

What if the carboy is 6.5 gallons and the wort is 5 gallons, and neither my turkey baster nor my thief can make it to the top of the beer? Does tipping it "spill" carbon dioxide or no?

I shouldn't think so. As fermentation happens, all gas in the neck of the carboy is displaced by carbon dioxide. As long as you tip it slowly, even if you do lose some CO2 won't mix "bad" gases into the CO2.

monty3777 said:
Is it o.k. to simply lift the lid off an ale pail and check the gravity? I don't have a thief or a baster.

Dude. Next time you're at the grocery, get a baster. What are they, $1.99?

Anyway, yes, you can take the lid off your bucket without problems, provided you're careful to not drop anything unsanitized into the beer. I don't use sealed lids on my pails; I just cover the mouth of the bucket with a sanitized square sheet of plexiglas.

Cheers,

Bob

Ported better bottle also works; though I'd assume you use a glass carboy or a bucket rather than one of those. You can port a bucket with a spigot or even Better Bottle PET taps, though one of these costs more than the other....

Hmmmm...beer brined and basted turkey DOES sound pretty good.

I cooked bratwurst in beer with onions floating in it the other day. Came out pretty good; I split the brats to increase beer absorption throughout (otherwise the outer edge becomes a brown ring, and the inside absorbs no flavor). This is of course to preference; it's nice to have the beer flavor on the outside and pure brat flavor inside.

Had to do something with that Sam Adams Cherry Wheat... it's tart, like drinking cherry skins. The brats taste better cooked in Boston Lager though, but Boston Lager tastes way better. Wonder if I should find/make a recipe specifically for beer cooking (batter, crab cakes, brats, etc)....

I cooked bratwurst in beer with onions floating in it the other day. Came out pretty good;

See, and here I thought "beer brats" were just brats that go well with beer. And since all food goes well with beer, I found that pretty redundant.

Oh, sorry... :off:

Latest posts

Back