How to calculate size of starter necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich8932

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about two years, all-grain for 1. Sometimes when my buddy and I can agree on a style I'll do a double batch (11 gal.) which we then split into two carboys. We always use Wyeast but purchase one package, brew a starter, and then split the starter in half. Generally speaking the OG of these brews is 1.06'ish. I typically use 4 cups of water to 1 cup of DME. I let it sit for two days and then pitch each half into a 5-gal carboy. I've read lately about over-pitching and I wonder how I can more accurately tell if I'm doing that. I see the mrmalty.com link but I cannot figure out how this helps me. Thanks for the advice/help!

Give this calculator a try, it essentially gives you the same information as Mr. Malty. Just laid out in a different way.

Don't worry about overpitching... you certainly aren't going to be doing that with a 1 quart starter for a 10 gallon batch at 1.060. If anything, I would venture to say that you are drastically underpitching. To calculate your starter size, you need to know how much yeast you will need and how much you are starting with...that is where Mr. Malty helps. You enter in the variables and it tells you how big of a starter you need.

So if I use these calculators correctly I should be using a 10 liter starter? That sounds crazy. I've read about the negatives of over-pitching, which I cannot be doing. If fermenation starts, which it always has (6x), is there a concern with under-pitching, other than the obvious?

So if I use these calculators correctly I should be using a 10 liter starter? That sounds crazy. I've read about the negatives of over-pitching, which I cannot be doing. If fermenation starts, which it always has (6x), is there a concern with under-pitching, other than the obvious?

You don't need a 10 liter starter if you step it. Start with 1.5 liters and step it to 3 liters, giving it a good shake every hour or so, and you will have plenty of yeast for 11 gallons of 1.060'ish beer.

Back