How To: BrewPi LCD Add-On

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wbarber69 - What is the pinout of the HC-05 modules that you are using? As day_trippr pointed out, one of the downsides to trying to mate up the bluetooth module is that they use several pin layouts. I want to design for the most common one. If it doesn't work for someone's existing module, they could simply use a male header and use dupont cables instead of using a female header and mounting directly to the shield.

I'll show mine if you show yours :D
hc05_bottom.jpg

Cheers!

The four pins that matter are in order. Unless someone comes up with an HC-05 that breaks that, just make sure the boards can be place in either lateral location without bumping into anything...

Cheers!

Good idea. Use a 4 pin header and make sure there is room on either side for at least two pins without hitting anything. That should cover it.

Yeah the ones I've bought in the past have the same rtgv layout that you two just posted, I figured that should be the same… so all you need is a 4 pin header with RTGV instead of what's currently on the board which is RTVG

All the cool kids use 6p4c or 6p6c RJ11 telephone connectors.

The data and ground signals are on the two centre pins, which is pair 1. Everything else is gravy.

Unfortunately, there is no one standard, however, different applications need slight variations anyway.

What I came up with is this:
1: NC
2: 3V3
3: DQ
4: GND
5: DOOR
6: NC

Once you have wired up your DS18B20 sensors to RJ11 plugs it is so easy to build or reconfigure the 1-wire network with flat telephone cable, splitters and joiners. It is also extremely easy to add, remove and replace sensors for testing and experimentation.

RJ45 connectors can be used, but they are bigger and bulkier than necessary. On the plus side, if you have some 1-wire devices terminated with RJ11 connectors they will work (the centre pins will line up). On the minus side, the plastic of the small plug will damage the contacts of the larger socket.

On my existing shield design, I use three pin headers for the probes. I have data, ground and 5v. For the new shield, where do you guys want the door, and NC pins to attach on the shield? I'm assuming where you've indicated 3.3v I'll be pulling 5v from the board. Why would we want 3.3v instead?

On my existing shield design, I use three pin headers for the probes. I have data, ground and 5v. For the new shield, where do you guys want the door, and NC pins to attach on the shield? I'm assuming where you've indicated 3.3v I'll be pulling 5v from the board. Why would we want 3.3v instead?

The probes work perfectly on 5V, no reason to add burden to the wee 3.3V LDO reg on the Uno.
And I don't get using a 6 pin connector only to leave two of them unused.
Takes more space than a straight RJ11, and space matters.

What "NC pins"?

Cheers!

The probes work perfectly on 5V, no reason to add burden to the wee 3.3V LDO reg on the Uno.
And I don't get using a 6 pin connector only to leave two of them unused.
Takes more space than a straight RJ11, and space matters.

What "NC pins"?

Cheers!

In Ame's post in my quote above, he has 1 and 6 as NC and 5 as Door. I'm basically asking the same question as you...why do you want 6 instead of 4. I've been trying to convince my wife of the same thing for 15 years.

I would not commingle temperature probe wiring with auxiliary functions (door switches, interior fan, whatever) as that's an undesirable complication wrt debugging probe issues.
Bring those in on their own connectors so a user can freely swap probes if necessary...

Cheers!

In Ame's post in my quote above, he has 1 and 6 as NC and 5 as Door. I'm basically asking the same question as you...why do you want 6 instead of 4. I've been trying to convince my wife of the same thing for 15 years.
RJ12 is a 6P6C wiring standard. This means that there are 6 wires that are terminated in the connector, occupying all the available slots. RJ11 is 6P4C wiring standard and only has four wires connected and the remaining two slots (1 and 6) are not used. Basically they look exactly the same and it is proper to show the wiring for the RJ11/12 as @ame did to avoid confusion.

I would not commingle temperature probe wiring with auxiliary functions (door switches, interior fan, whatever) as that's an undesirable complication wrt debugging probe issues.
Bring those in on their own connectors so a user can freely swap probes if necessary...
If the board were designed to support the door switching being on the RJ11 jack, a person would be free to use that or to wire it separately. There's no forcing a person to do it.

It is *very* nice however to only have one cable going into the fridge.

RJ12 is a 6P6C wiring standard. This means that there are 6 wires that are terminated in the connector, occupying all the available slots. RJ11 is 6P4C wiring standard and only has four wires connected and the remaining two slots (1 and 6) are not used. Basically they look exactly the same and it is proper to show the wiring for the RJ11/12 as @ame did to avoid confusion.

If the board were designed to support the door switching being on the RJ11 jack, a person would be free to use that or to wire it separately. There's no forcing a person to do it.

It is *very* nice however to only have one cable going into the fridge.

I'm not familiar with the door function of the BrewPi. How does it interface with the software?

Just like a relay only backwards…. Where the door switch makes a connection and the arduino senses it

For anyone getting ready to build a version of this, I have the newest version of the shield done. It is the same as the current version except the p-fet has been swapped for a transistor that can be soldered more easily. I need to update the write-up for the matching component list but I can send the files to anyone who wants them in the meantime. When I'm done with the component list, I'll post the files here and on the diybrewpi wikia for public consumption.

I've also made strides on a complete redesign of the board to use the Nano instead of the Uno. I should have that done this week or early next week. When I get those boards back from the board house, I'd love to have some beta testers use free boards to test out the new design...

Given that I'm in neck deep in the whole thing, I'm in. I can't use Linux worth a damn, but I can at least solder!

For anyone getting ready to build a version of this, I have the newest version of the shield done. It is the same as the current version except the p-fet has been swapped for a transistor that can be soldered more easily. I need to update the write-up for the matching component list but I can send the files to anyone who wants them in the meantime. When I'm done with the component list, I'll post the files here and on the diybrewpi wikia for public consumption.

I've also made strides on a complete redesign of the board to use the Nano instead of the Uno. I should have that done this week or early next week. When I get those boards back from the board house, I'd love to have some beta testers use free boards to test out the new design...

I'll give it a go, I have a jewelry box around here somewhere with a handful of nanos in it. and I'm getting a complete set of parts for 4 boards in the mail any day now…

What are the version numbers for the new boards?

I'm happy to give it a go. Building one out for a buddy. I hate PFET's.
Thanks!

The version of the Uno board with the transistor is 1.2. The new Nano board will be 2.0.

Will the new board be designed for the Nano or will you do one for the uno first and have 2 versions? And how long do you think it will take to make the changes have put forward? :) great to see some improvements.

Here's the version 1.2 board. It is the same as 1.1 with the exchange of the p-fet for a transistor for easier soldering. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwakCoACNDsmSWNQeS0xNVBBRFk?usp=sharing

I've ordered a set of boards. When they arrive, I'll solder one up for a trial and if it works, I'll have boards available for a couple of bucks for anyone who wants them.

Now on to the version 2.0 with the Nano and the stackable design...

Here's the version 1.2 board. It is the same as 1.1 with the exchange of the p-fet for a transistor for easier soldering. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwakCoACNDsmSWNQeS0xNVBBRFk?usp=sharing

I've ordered a set of boards. When they arrive, I'll solder one up for a trial and if it works, I'll have boards available for a couple of bucks for anyone who wants them.

Now on to the version 2.0 with the Nano and the stackable design...

Do both designs have the encoder and RJ11 mounted to the board in the design. and wifi module header?

For anyone interested I do have 4 of the 1.1 version boards here that are extra and I am willing to ship them out. Send me a PM if you would like 1 or more!

fwiw, you can wire an esp8266 to the same four pin header to which hc-05/-06 bluetooth radios connect.
I've done it, it works...

cheers!

That seems a little like strapping a car to another car just to use its horn. :p

How so? the arduino can't connect wirelessly by itself, and the esp can't run the brewpi script by itself. while it is capable of running *some* arduino compatible sketches it lacks the horsepower and programming space of the uno

How so? the arduino can't connect wirelessly by itself, and the esp can't run the brewpi script by itself. while it is capable of running *some* arduino compatible sketches it lacks the horsepower and programming space of the uno
I was not indicting the change per se .. it is a quick and easy way to provide wireless connectivity. I just mean the ESP8266 is quite capable on it's own, and we've seen the results of people using them to replace the Arduino completely (with limitations). True enough they are not drop-in replacements for the Arduino, but using them simply as wireless radios is selling them quite short.

Just musing is all.

Happy to try a 2.0 board if there's some spare.
I moved from the hc05 to esp8266 01 some time ago for range issues but still have the hc05 floating around. I built both on chinese nanos as well as UNOs. I like the nanos for their small footprint I use them as standalone temp monitors for things like bottle conditioning and mash monitoring

Happy to try a 2.0 board if there's some spare.
I moved from the hc05 to esp8266 01 some time ago for range issues but still have the hc05 floating around. I built both on chinese nanos as well as UNOs. I like the nanos for their small footprint I use them as standalone temp monitors for things like bottle conditioning and mash monitoring
I would be interested in how you used the nano for monitoring the mash.

Put the probe in the end of an 18inch 6mm ID pipe with some aquarium sealant. The ss end of the probe hangs out the end and I put it Int he mash. I then used the brew Pi interface to record ambient and mash temps at 10 sec intervals. Works fine.

I have a question for those of you who will be using the new Nano board with an RJ11 connector on board:

Were you guys envisioning that there would be one RJ11 connector on the board and that you'd splice your probes together outside of the enclosure and bring one RJ11 cable into the enclosure? Or were you envisioning three RJ11 connectors on the board, one for each probe?

I was assuming that there would be only one connector on the board, but someone wiser than I (read everyone, but in particular day_trippr), thought it good to verify that before I finalize the design, and I wholeheartedly agree!

Let me know what you were envisioning so I can get this done.

Back