How to Age IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WellsofMarah

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA with warrior for bittering and late hop additions of citra, mosaic, and chinook in equal doses. The IBU's were around 60-70 I believe. The flavor has been quite good, but it keeps morphing. When I tasted it in primary, it was a deadlock for Creature Comforts Tropicalia, with additional hints of pineapple. It hit two weeks in bottle conditioning about two days ago and was very catty. Today, the cattiness has diminished, but it remains very funky.

That's ok to me, but I'm heading out of country for 16 days. I know that aging will completely change this beer. Should I leave it in the dark in my apartment at 78 degrees or should I refrigerate it? By the time I get back, it will have been about a month and a week since I bottled...

So in short, how should I store it and does the way I store it affect how quickly the cattiness diminishes?

I would store it cold. it will drop any hop particulates out of suspension, help clear the beer, and help the flavors meld a bit. In general, the less you age and IPA the better IMO.. drink it green!

Best aging method........

BELLY.jpg

IPAs were not meant to be aged!!!

Oh wait, actually they were. That was the original point of them.

Refrigeration slows changes, so I'd go with that, even if it's historically inauthentic. We have higher standards today.

Although historically were they dry hopped monsters we associate as American IPA or were they heavily bittered in the beginning of the boil then heavily dry hopped in a barrel as it made long ship ride to India

Would a dry hopped monster not be the same thing as heavily dry hopped before storage?

I'd say if it's bottled and carbonated where you want it refrigerate it. If it needs to carbonate more leave it out. Things age faster with temperature so it could be perfect when you come back on day 13.

Would a dry hopped monster not be the same thing as heavily dry hopped before storage?

I'd say if it's bottled and carbonated where you want it refrigerate it. If it needs to carbonate more leave it out. Things age faster with temperature so it could be perfect when you come back on day 13.

I guess I could have been more clear. A Historical IPA would be an English one... and Style to Style, they are not as bitter as the "hop monsters" we have on the shelves today. So a regular 12C vs 21A

Vital Statistics: English vs American
OG: 1.050 – 1.075 OG: 1.056 – 1.070
IBUs: 40 – 60 IBUs: 40 – 70
FG: 1.010 – 1.018 FG: 1.008 – 1.014
SRM: 6 – 14 SRM: 6 – 14
ABV: 5.0 – 7.5% Commercial ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

So lets say for argument sake they made a 1.075OG 1.018FG with 60IBUs but dry hopped for extra Aroma say 3oz per 5 gallons and aged for MONTHS, when oxidation sets in and the beer gets caramel off flavors? Probably not much like anything on the shelf today.

A dry hopped monster would probably lost a lot of the aroma of you aged it 12-24 MONTHS which is about normal for aging. You'd pick up more barrel taste and I'd wonder personally why someone would waste 3 oz per 5 gallons of hop aroma to put it into a barrel for a year or longer.

Oxidation will only set in if you let it. I sure the original style filled the barrel 99.5% and minimized oxygenation during transportation even at sea with evaporation.

I've got IPAs, APA's and some Duvel that's been aging in my refrigerator for 4 months.... because I am OCONUS and haven't been home to drink it! I will be home in a few weeks and I will sample and report back on how they aged!!!!:drunk::mug:

Latest posts

Back