How to adjust water profiles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackS

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been brewing on and off for years but have finally decided to up my game by modifying my brew water. I've found a lot of tools on-line but I find them all difficult to figure out.

So here's my starting profile. Town water run through a charcoal filter:
Sodium 34.26 mg/L
Magnesium 2.80mg/L
Calcium 4.70mg/L
Chloride 69.90mg/L
Sulfate 9.65mg/L
ph 7.44
hardness 23.3mg/L
I'd like to make a NEIPA. I've blindly played with the different calculators out there but I can't figure out how to adjust the different categories up or down. Adding different chemicals can raise or lower some of the categories but not all.
Is there a website somewhere that will tell me how to raise or lower each of these categories?

I use Bru'n Water but there are plenty of alternative tools available. Check out the Software forum.
But it's important to have a clue what one is doing with any of these tools.
For Bru'n Water there is a substantial tutorial available that is a "must read" if one really wants to get the most out of the tool...

Cheers!

Absolutely. That is why I sent him the link to BrunWater first. The tutorial page is extremely helpful and absolutely must be read prior to attempting anything, PLUS Martin used to be on here all the time and he was an awesome help for many of my questions when I first started.
To be honest, I never really looked elsewhere for any software other than Beersmith, which does a pretty decent job and always matched up to my BW numbers pretty closely.

I'd like to make a NEIPA. I've blindly played with the different calculators out there but I can't figure out how to adjust the different categories up or down. Adding different chemicals can raise or lower some of the categories but not all.
Is there a website somewhere that will tell me how to raise or lower each of these categories?

emphasis added. If the immediate question is how (and why) to adjust your tap water to make a great NEIPA, maybe @Dgallo can help.

Last edited:
I also use brewing water, starting with RO water every time. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. I save a spread sheet for every recipe I brew, that way the additions are already calculated for next time. Bru'N Water is worth the time to learn, it's free, and it works really well, my beer qaulity is so much better and consistent now that I use it.

Since I had already been using Beersmith for several years, when the new v3 was released with an improved water tool I simply upgraded to it an have been very happy with how easy it is to use.

That tap water is a good starting point for NEIPA water. Most ions are at very modest levels and the chloride is getting up there. But that’s not a problem since you’ll want even more chloride in there.

I have not used brunwater, but I do like how beer smith 3 lets me add multiple sources of water and I tell it how I want it to come out the other end. The software does the calculations with simple to read results.

I had ten gallons of distilled water and a few gallons of spring water that I mixed together the other day to make a medium bodied ale. Beer smith 3 gave me the precise measurements need for brewing salts addition. The mash ph and pre-boil gravity were right on the money!

Back