How to add orange, woodchips and coriander

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnfb

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to do a zombie dust clone, and as I'm fermenting in 4 separate 1gallon demijohns I thought it might be fun to add different flavourings to each to see how it effects the final product.
• Oak wood chips
• Orange peel
• Coriander seeds
• A control
Having looked into the best ways to add these, it seems adding both orange and, in particular, coriander is best done in the wort; this wouldn’t work for what I want to do as would taint the wood chip and the control version.

Am I ok to just dry hop coriander and orange for a few days once fermentation has stopped? Or should I make separate flavoured ‘teas’ and add these to the demijohns before pitching?

Thanks for any answers

Here's some "experience" I have with coriander and orange peel as it relates to adding them after the boil. I made NB's spiced winter ale. I read on the beer's reviews to lay off the spice pack that comes with the kit as it's too "clove heavy." So, I only added about 2/3 of the .5 ounce spice pack. When I sampled the beer on racking day, I felt it was actually a little bland, so I e-mailed them asking if I could add orange and coriander to the secondary. They said go ahead. So, I put in a modest amount of fresh ground coriander and the orange peel and racked the beer on top of that. It's been sitting in my secondary for two weeks. I have not sampled it yet, so I can't comment on its new taste, but this suggestion was made to my by NB and I've had nothing but good experience following their suggestions they offer via e-mail support.

I'll jump on here. I'm not doing orange but want to add vanilla to a porter I'm doing. Would I add after fermentation when racking to carboy?

I'm doing a vanilla porter extract kit today from adventuresinhombrewing. Their kit comes with 2 vanilla beans, which you are to kit length-wise and then in 1-inh pieces. You add them to secondary after fermentation is complete in primary and then rack beer on top of them. Leave in secondary for one week, it says.

I made a vanilla bourbon porter this summer, and I just split and scraped 2 vanilla beans and threw everything in secondary and racked on top of it. Turned out GREAT. The bourbon was added at bottling time.

Last edited:
Back