How thick is a glass carboy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fettersp

Reaction score
I bought a deluxe kit from northern brewer early in January. I was cleaning it and on the side near the bottom broke. Not like shattered but about a half inch hole in the glass. The thickness on where the hole is is about as thin as paper almost. I'm just wondering if this is normal or a defectictive carboy?

I have never broken a carboy, but I'm pretty sure my 6.5 gallon italian carboys (now almost 16 years old) are at least a couple of millimeters thick in the sidewalls.

Can you take a revealing picture or two? They'll be handy when you send your claim about defective or shipping-damaged glass...

Cheers!

Sounds like a defect from here. E-mail NB and include a photo and see what they say. I have about 30+ carboys in my collection, most were bought used and some are quite old; some old carboys show spiderweb type cracks in the bottom (don't leak, but I don't use them anymore) but I've never had one that developed a hole.

There's nothing like watching the progress of a brew as it ferments in glass but given the drawbacks, stainless steel has a lot going for it. As a new brewer I bought one too many of those glass jugs....

I sold all my glass carboys. I have been using PET and stainless steel fermenters. Too many horror stories associated with glass.

Back