How the hell do I stop my sister's cat from stealing my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
give the cat some fresh catnip before you get your gear out. cat should be too baked to interfere.

cat.jpg

I've got a real bastard of a cat that doesn't respond at all to squirt bottles. He doesn't like it, but it doesn't send him running off either. Various "Cat-B-Gone" sprays have absolutely no effect, neither does yelling, clapping or much of anything else. It wouldn't be so bad, but he's huge and digs holes in the carpet and craps everywhere but the litter box. (Yeah, he's healthy and I've tried different litter, box, location, etc.) He's just an a$$hole cat.

He'd be a dead cat if he lived in my house. (Actually, I'd probably just toss his dumb ass outside if he crapped in my house like that).

I second the tape suggestion. My young cats would jump up on the window from outside and climb on the screens when they wanted to come in. I remember the first time one of them tried that after I took the screens down.. Should have seen the look on his face.

Now they are both capable of getting on the window sill, even on 3 inches wide. I'm going to put some duct tape on the sill, upside down...

Yeasty ***** problems eh? The same thing happened to me. No joke. :D

My cat's love little packets of stuff to play with. A cardboard box will not keep a cat out. Try a drawer or keep them in your fridge.
Cheers and good luck.

I think the best bet is to do something similar to the spray bottle. Get the brewing stuff out and act like you are about to fire up a batch. When the cat walks in and starts acting interested, piss on it. Cats ****ing hate when you piss on them.

The added bonus is that you may not have to live under the same roof as your sister if you pull it off. :D

If it's a long haired cat, you can get a chip clip and clamp it on their underfur. Might not solve the problem, but it's fun to watch!

Socks work on any cat. Just tie it around the belly. It messes up their center of gravity, so they either stumble around like they had a few too many shots of tequilla or they lay down and don't move. Same idea as the clamp, but it works for short hairs, too.

But, really, don't be hatin' the cat. Try giving it a beer or some yeast cake or something in another room. You've got thumbs, you should be able to out smart the thing...

Also, I'm glad I wasn't the one to ask how hot your sister was, but I'm sure we all want to know...

use the yeast as bait

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-d3rZZ-_M&feature=related]Launch[/ame]

First thread worth PROSTing in awhile. :mug:

My suggestion, take some yeast cake and mix it with cayenne pepper. Last time the cat will try to eat it. Or, better yet, keep your stuff locked up where the cat can't get to it. ;)

I think you might actually have the upper hand here & not realize it. The cat goes nuts for yeast? Use it. Get some bread yeast & use it to train the cat; contrary to popular belief, cats ARE trainable. I taught my cat to sit up & beg like a dog with cat treats, I also taught him to stay off the counter & table with a spray bottle. Try putting some yeast and/or super catnip in you sister's shoe, push it right up into the toe & make sure the cat knows it's there. Be sure to record & post the action so we can see both the cat going nuts & shredding the shoe AND your sister's reaction to finding it. :D

I spray my cats with the spritz bottle of star san I keep on hand. I don't even need to shoot them anymore...a simple shake of the bottle and they all go running.

Well I followed someone's bright idea to give the cat a saucer of yeast so it would leave me alone while I worked... not pretty. Sis made me promise to never do it again, unless I wanted to be the one to clean the cat box.

She described the results as "liquid lava cat **** so foul that it burns the nose"

Put the cat outside, and then say it made it past you when you tried to stop it.

Now you need to see if the cat learned anything from the experience. Offer it just a tiny bit of yeast and see if it still thinks it's as delicious as it once was. There's a good chance it won't touch it, I'd say. You may have solved your problem!

Or it might be a stupid cat that likes to have liquid lava ooze out its butt, it's a tough call...

Well I followed someone's bright idea to give the cat a saucer of yeast so it would leave me alone while I worked... not pretty. Sis made me promise to never do it again, unless I wanted to be the one to clean the cat box.

She described the results as "liquid lava cat **** so foul that it burns the nose"

conratulations, you've perpetuated the problem... its all about the negative reinforcement buddy! cat touches yeast, cat gets unpleasant repercussions.

conratulations, you've perpetuated the problem... its all about the negative reinforcement buddy! cat touches yeast, cat gets unpleasant repercussions.

While hot lava **** is a deterrent keeping me from eating jalapenos, I doubt the cat is able to associate the fiery bung hole with the cause.

While hot lava **** is a deterrent keeping me from eating jalapenos, I doubt the cat is able to associate the fiery bung hole with the cause.

Exactly. All kitty knows is that uncle apollofrost lets him eat yeast without getting a boot to the head. :D

That's why you need to offer it some! Have a spray bottle handy, and scream like you're taking the dump the cat took if it tries to touch it.

My cats like shiny things, and things they are not allowed to have... trick is to distract them. Mine are freaks and don't like catnip, but the plastic cap/ foil from a wine bottle will occupy them for hours. Try that.

Or I brew in a room where the cats can't get at anything, no looking at my newly fermented beer and fishing the cat out of the primary for me...

And better yet I can lock the cats in the bottom half of the house while I do things upstairs if I need to use the kitchen or other rooms.

Why would you want to feed the cat a whole pack of yeast? Hubby accidentally poured out a green beer in it's entirety and that was not a fun experience (his system is pretty sensitive) - would you want to eat a pack of yeast? I am just saying...

canned air works well.

+1 on this! My cats all started with the canned air, and now will react just as strongly if I just verbally hiss at them. Don't spray in their faces...it's the noise alone that will get the desired result. Buy the 3-pack and keep them in handy places.

(Keep an eye on any teenagers in the house, though, unless you want to have them living in your basement forever ...or worse, you have to buy them coloring books for their birthdays for the rest of their lives. Huffing this stuff has gotten popular and there aren't many quicker ways to lose brain cells.)

Latest posts

Back