How strong is my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaperStreetSoapCo

Reaction score
So I've been fermenting apple juice the easiest possible way, by purchasing two litre bottles of juice, adding one cup of white sugar, one teaspoon of Fliechman's yeast and covering it with a perforated, unlubricated condom for a vent.

I've brewed about one hundred bottles now and everyone loves it. I leave it for about two weeks and it comes out much dryer, tasting like an alcoholic drink.

Would anyone have an idea of what the alcohol percentage might be?

Condom airlock. Gross. Just get a baloon...
Without measuring the og and fg, I would take a guess around 7-8. Assuming the juice you use has a similar og from what I've seen.

Okay, that gives me a better idea. Thanks pricelessbrewing.

Also, condoms are sterile. I wouldn't put a dirty baloon in contact with the brew.

Just buy a airlock. They only cost $1.50. That's around the same price as the damn condom! And then, you know, you aren't using a condom for an airlock!

So in all seriousness to your original question, if it's definitely dry it should be >6% abv as straight apple juice should be a little above 5% and adding sugar will raise that. For a few bucks you can buy a hydrometer and find out, though, and if you're making the same recipe over and over again that would be a good idea.

At what point of the day do they have the inmates' social?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My friend, have you heard of a HYDROMETER? This is a simple device that gives an approximate ABV%. Use it to measure an I.G.(initial Gravity)at the outset of primary fermentation and a F.G.(final gravity) at the conclusion of primary fementation. HOWEVER, i generally add 1 cup of refined sugar PER GALLON of apple juice-and according to my hydrometer this generally yields approximately 6.8 %ABV. Since you're adding 1 cup per 2 liters, your ABV% may be higher.( Depending on, of course, the alchohol tolerance of your yeast strain.

Back