How resilient are DIY fridgensteins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
I'm considering either separate fermentation chamber and kegerator units (using fridge and fridge/freezer) or a fridgenstein-type all-in-one using a side-by-side fridge/freezer. For those who've made fridgensteins, have they lasted several years or is there continual maintenance to keep the computer fans running and temps consistent. Would you do it again or pick separate units if you can find the space? I am somewhat space limited: looking at 59" width wall-to-wall and with a few inches in between units for air circulation, I'd only have space for a couple of apartment sized fridge/freezers. A fridgenstein would give me room to store the CO2 tank outside and plenty of circulation and look badass, but I suspect the DIY aspect would result in constant maintenance.

Last edited:
I love mine. Except that I manually defrost as I probably cut that part out. Once every 4 months or so I have unplugged and opened the doors for a work day (before I leave, and plug back in when I get home). I have ran co2 to the "ferm" side and have successfully carbed kegs over there when prepping for a big shin-dig. I almost set up fans, to help in the hotter months here in Houston, but never got around to it. I kept brewing the whole time. I have colder temps on the bottom of my ferm chamber and that is the bucket that the probe is attached too, after amost 2 weeks, it goes to the second shelf as a new bucket goes in the bottom. I am only sad that I only have 2 beers on tap! LOL. Aside from that it rocks. 2 kegs + 2 fermenting = great output and flow. I'll probably be building a keezer at some point to expand my tap list. You can see pictures of mine on the Fridgenstein thread.

Back