How on earth did I get this? It's root beer flavor.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently brewed a Saison - 5.75 gallon batch, 6.4% ABV

80% Pils, 17% red wheat, 3% flaked oat

Saisonstein's monster yeast

Went with American hops - .5 oz Strata@ 60, 1.0 oz Chinook at 2

Somehow, I came up with a root beer flavor. It is not unpleasant, but it is just so strange.

Anyone have a clue how this flavor comes about?

Phenols from fermentation, i.e. it's the yeast's fault.

OUCH.

That one is quite new to me. Not even sure how to go about avoiding that except to change yeast. I am sure that this one will not fade - something tells me I am stuck with that for this batch

Then most likely it won't age out but it may fade or transform into a more pleasant flavor with time. When this sort of thing happens to me, I age some of the bottles at room temp, some in the fridge at serving temp, and the rest go in a box under the stairs or in a closet to forget about for a year.

It was so strange. At first, it came out as a different but not unpleasant flavor. It was passed around the brew club and someone said "root beer" . They were right of course. Now all I can taste is root beer

It happened to me with a Dubbel. Used a different White Labs yeast and the result was cloyingly medicinal tasting, like cough syrup.
It did mellow out with aging but in the end it was still unpleasant and I ended up dumping most of the batch.

It was so strange. At first, it came out as a different but not unpleasant flavor. It was passed around the brew club and someone said "root beer" . They were right of course. Now all I can taste is root beer
I used to really like Two Brother's Domaine Du Page, that is until I was sipping one with my wife on a Saturday afternoon and she suddenly exclaimed "black tea!", she was right of course and I can't drink it ever since. I *hate* black tea.

I got bubblegum on it too, but that's not that unusual I guess reading the yeast description. But yeah, once someone said root beer, it was hard to get around that flavor. I did enjoy it regardless.

I got bubblegum on it too, but that's not that unusual I guess reading the yeast description. But yeah, once someone said root beer, it was hard to get around that flavor. I did enjoy it regardless.

Thanks - appreciate the support. It was not a bad beer, but (childish stomping of feet and clenched fists) should not taste like root beer....

Back