How old are you? How long have you been brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 57 & retired in '07. Started working on cars at age 7,pop started teaching me pit BBQ at age 8 or 9 at my own insistence. Started making wine at age 15 with a 1G kit pop never used. Did that till age 30,then family,job,etc took center stage. I started brewing beer in January 2011 with a Cooper's Microbrew kit. I'm now up to partial mash & really enjoying the increased freedom of designing my own colors & flavors.:rockin:

30, started 11 years ago. I guess I'm really into brewing. Before this thread I never really stopped to think for how long I've been doing this.

Cheers !!

30...been brewing for about 3 months. Have two batches on the keg and 4 more fermenting. This hobby is AWESOME!

52 times around the sun. 4 months and 7 batches, including the one boiling right now :)
Why oh why did I wait so long?!!

23. I've only brewed once but that was in May so it's been a while...6 months? Does that count?:)

Im 40. 3 year brewer now. Started brewing my first extract/steeping grains amber in 2010 or late 09. Crystal 20 and Willamete hops I believe with light extract but color turned out amber which makes me belive moreso that it was old DME. I think with 04 yeast and feremented way to warm.Super fruity wine-like beer disapointment. Possibly old extract,could have used too much hops for one gallon too wasnt associated with fruit aromas/hops yet either. I remember my 2 gallon pail wreeking of fruit. Turned out ok after like 6-12 months but nothing more than ok.

Started my first fruit- wines this summer,cant seem to get into regular wines at all. Im a summer beer-breaker ,too warm in my basement. Also making meads since fruit/honey is also in season it sounds reasonable to make in the summer. Plus its a nice break from a long brewday to make wines/meads instead of all grain its about as easy as extract brewing unless you crush your own grapes or use fresh/ frozen fruit but even that is easy and not too time consuming.

I'm 55.

Started building my brewery 2 years ago, and have been brewing 10gal AG batches for a year now.

It'll be batch 16 tomorrow, I think.

pb

I am 37 and been brewing for 6 years 5 were extract and mini mash, last has been all grain, why did I wait so long to make the jump to biab

40 years old. I brewed a couple of horrible batches nearly 20 years ago but I'd say I've been brewing for just under a year. I have 6 brews since February, 4 of them BIAB all grain. I make at least one drastic " leap forward " with each process. The beer I've got fermenting now, the great leap was the water profile and use of liquid yeast, paying attention to pitch rates.

Not sure what procedural leap I can make from here. I think I might try an IPA with yeast I harvest from a Bell's ale.

58 and just started this year.

Batch #8, 2nd all grain brew day today. Little bit of a disaster. Clogged hop screen in the BK. Had to resort to hillbilly engineering to get the job done. Not that the whole operation isn't hillbilly engineering :)

Anyway, obsessed and loving it.

When I sort out my hops screen deal EVERYTHING WILL BE PERFECT!

I'm 60. First batch was bottled March 14, 2010. It was a Mr. Beer batch I received as a Christmas gift in 2009. Went AG 2011.

Oh my! I feel really, REALLY, R-E-A-L-L-Y old! I'll turn 67 this week Wednesday, 16 October! And I started brewing as a retirement hobby [I retired at 62] so about five years.

So, is there anyone on this list older than I am???

glenn514:mug:

This Wednesday is United Blood Services Halloween Special, and they are giving away very cool commemorative T-shirts. No, I don't work there.

I'm 48, & have been brewing almost 18 years. I made my first batch in 1996, and the only years I failed to ferment something was 2007 & 2008, the years I was going through a divorce. In 2009 & 10 I only made mead (including the one we drank at my second wedding, to a woman who LOVES wine, beer and mead) because I had to sell off most of my brewing equipment. In 2011 I resumed extract brewing, and made wine, cider and hard lemonade for the first time, and this year finally got my 2nd all grain system built (which, while it sucks having to rebuild, was cool because I knew what I liked and didn't like the first time).

And I'm still learning every day!

I'm 43 and I brewed my first 5 batches when I was 22. I took 19 years off and then picked it back up 2 years ago. Brewed 40 batches since then, so there's no stopping me now. Just finishing my 6 tap keezer, so I've definitely got the bug.

I'm 31 and been brewing 10 months. Extract/mini mash and enjoying the simplicity of those type of brews at the moment.

29, did my first batch - an extract kit - a little over a month ago. Waiting for it to carb is killing me - I want to drink the fruits of my labor NOW! :eek:

Brewing #2 tonight after work - BIAB stout, very slightly modified from the Left Hand Milk Stout clone recipe floating around the forums here. I was giggling like a giddy schoolgirl as I carried the shipments with my ingredients home yesterday, and my fiancee glared at me for almost an hour as I hand-milled 12 pounds of grain on the Corona mill last night in anticipation for today.

I'm 22 and did a mr beer about 2 years ago and just started real brewing about 4 months ago and I can't get enough of it!!

I'm 22 and started with mr beer 2 years ago and decided to get into real brewing about 4 months ago and I can't get enough of it!!!

Back