How often to check mill gap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I recently bought a barley crusher and have used it for about a half dozen batches or so. Every batch I have used it, I got an efficiency around 87-90%. I bought a feeler gauge, but didnt check the gap when I first set it, but the crush was really tight and what I was looking for.

I brewed yesterday and only got an 83% efficiency. I did change one other think in my process (did an infusion mash out instead of a decoction) and am trying to figure out if it has more to do with the mill gap or the fact that I had less water for fly sparging.

So, how often does everyone check their mill gap? Is this something that can loosen over time, just 5-6 batches, or is there something else in my process I probably messed up in this batch? :drunk:

I check every time. My biggest complaint about Monster Mill, it will not hold a gap between uses. I adjust and tighten the adjustment stops but they are always loose when I check gap before next use.

I check every time. My biggest complaint about Monster Mill, it will not hold a gap between uses. I adjust and tighten the adjustment stops but they are always loose when I check gap before next use.

On my last three batches mine kept its gap. The thing is though I replaced the thumb screws with actual set screws that have points. They cost a whole $.70 give em a shot. I forget what size they are though.

Okay, guess I need to get better about checking my gap....didn't seem like there was as much flour as usual from the crush.

Thanks! :rockin:

The gap on my barley crusher hasn't changed in the last 40+ batches. I've checked it once in the past two years.

Never had a problem with mine. I've never had it move and I use a 1/2 drill that vibrates it a lot. i would call Fred there if you are have problems with it.

Honestly the difference between 90% efficiency and 83% efficiency is probably process related vice mill gap related. Maybe something different in the recipe, a miscalculation in the measurement, etc...

I wouldn't even sweat it. On the same note if you notice a continued downward trend, then it might be time to investigate.

I've checked the gap on my Crankandstein about 5x since I last set it. No change. I'm at .032 but I think I'm gonna go to .029 soon.

I visually check the first 1lb of grain crushed. If it looks good I continue the crush. The only time I check beyond that is if I take it apart to clean and lube, then I reset it and check.

I have not checked the gap on my crankandstein since I first set it. I like the look of the crush so there is no reason to mess with it.

Honestly the difference between 90% efficiency and 83% efficiency is probably process related vice mill gap related. Maybe something different in the recipe, a miscalculation in the measurement, etc...

I wouldn't even sweat it. On the same note if you notice a continued downward trend, then it might be time to investigate.

That was my thought oo. For this beer, I decided to do an infusion mashout instead of a decoction. I usually fly sparge with ~5 gallons of water, but this time only had 3.5 gallons. Also, my run off was a quart short so I just added 1 qt of tap water to the kettle preboil.

I figure I lost most of the efficiency from these 2 things, but wanted to check before I started messing with my mill too much. Thanks! :ban:

On my last three batches mine kept its gap. The thing is though I replaced the thumb screws with actual set screws that have points. They cost a whole $.70 give em a shot. I forget what size they are though.

Can anyone recommend what type and size set screws I can get to replace my thumb screws?

I visually check the grist every time I use the mill and make adjustments accordingly. I also adjust the mill every time I mill a different malt or grain. The grains vary considerably in size depending on the variety and I suppose, from crop to crop. I would not be happy using only a single setting for everything.

err, ok. so what about the rest of us that don't have such a passionate relationship with their mills?

Yeah, it was a failed attempt at humor. I'm just trying to find some set screws.

FYI, it was not a fail.:D

Take one of your thumb screws to your local hardware store and have them match up the threads to some allen head set screws, then buy a "T" handled allen wrench to match. You might have to go to an auto parts store to find the "T" handled allen wrench. Alternately, you can buy allen wrenches that can be used with a socket wrench. Either of those will allow you to put some serious torque on the set screws. The threads are very likely 1/4-20, but I'm not at all certain of that. You could also simply replace the thumb screws with hex head machine bolts which would allow you to use a socket or an open end wrench on them. The latter would be my preference.

I went to one of my favorite Seattle stores, Tacoma Screw, and they hooked me up. I replaced the thumb screws with

2 Steel Socket Set Screws with cone points
1/4" - 20 x 1" Plain
77cents total

Hope this helps anyone else.

I have a 3 roller Monster Mill and they are much harder to check gap on. I just look at the crush and adjust if necessary. I don't really even know what gap its set at...

Back