How often to change tubing? Silicone vs vinyl.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwipen

Reaction score
I've heard that you should change vinyl tubing every 6 months or so.

What about silicone tubing, how often should it be changeg? It would feal safer to use silicone when I transfer from the fermenter to a keg since silicone can be boiled.

I have an auto siphon with the same vinyl tube for years. I just give it a spray of starsan before and after using it. I hate silicon, every spec of dirt,hair,dust sticks to it...Grosses me out

food grade vinyl should be fine for transfering. i mean, you can use silicone but it's overkill. I only use silicone when dealing with my near boiling temps for transfer and chilling...

Usually use vinyl transfer tubing for years at a time without any issues. I use an auto-siphon and give it a quick pump recirc with a bucket of oxi-clean, rinse then sanitize before storage. If it starts to change color or dull it gets replaced.

I have a stainless racking cane with a carboy cap/sterile starter on it. I changed from vinyl to silicon and really like it. With my set up, I can bake the cane in the oven and boil the silicon on the stove.

Overkill? Probably. But I never say no to the possibility of heat sterilization for my equipment.

Back