How often do you get lectured about alcoholism

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and her family are 100% Irish.

My family is German.

Ridiculed for drinking too much?

Riiiiiigggghhhhhhtttt... ;)

My ancestors were Germans as well. I think SWMBO finally figured that one out; she hasn't said anything in years......

I'm the voice of moderation in the family... :D

ROFLMFAO!!!! That's a keeper! Into the sig it goes........:D

The SWMBO worries about it a bit, but only becuase her dad and stepdad were alcoholics. She'll mention it every now and then, which is a good thing for me. It's good to realize that alcohol is indeed a drug, and if used irresponsibly will cause big, big problems. It's a good idea to keep in mind it's an addictive substance...and like all things enjoy it in moderation and responsibly. Both sides of my family are religous and don't drink at all. However, they never bother me about it...they seem to understand and trust that I handle my business and they don't need to do that for me. They probably also know if they did, I'd put them straight.

EDIT: Forgot to mention; "Everything in moderation, even moderation"

I usually get it from swmbo once or twice a year.... Which always happens when i take a few sips of hard liqour on these few occasions.

I spoke to one of my wifes friends husband and he's a recovering alky. He said to me that I only make beer so I have an excuse to drink. I gaff it off as him being a jealous prick about the whole ability to do so.

He's not addicted to alcohol now, but he's addicted to work. We were at this house on the 4th of July. He had just came home for lunch, said what he said, then left to go back to his construction job. He's a contractor.

My neighbor is exactly the same way, quit drinking but now works 7 days a week doing landscaping work. He too owns his own business.

Some people have compulsive natures about them. Some are bad if they can't control it and it does harm to themselves or their loved ones.

This morning I sold some guy 4 bottles (out of 6) of Chardonnay that he will drink throughout the day. I don't usually drink 6 bottles of beer a day, let alone 6 bottles of wine. I'm willing to bet I get lectured slightly less than that guy...:D

Lots of people have addictive personalities. Lots of those people don't understand moderation in anything. I drink a lot and enjoy drinking a lot. However, I do not have an addictive personality and control myself. The fact that I prefer beer to a soda or whatever unhealthy crap everyone else is drinking does not make me a bad person.

To the OP, I live in Wisconsin.... any other questions :D

My in-laws never drank until about 2 years ago, man was it awkward going over there. Now the drink a little, and have realized that drinking is not the path to Satan :p lol They still drinking crappy stuff and can't handle any really quality beverages but they at least think it is cool now that I am in to brewing and like hearing about good wine and beer. I just don't understand people who think because you have a drink or three a night you are an alcoholic. Do these people realize that beer is way more healthy than half the crap they are drinking... I just scratch my head. Rant over, I could go on and on and on....

I think the most I get is from work, where the old lady I work with says "You're on that beer site AGAIN?" Otherwise everyone else I know either doesn't care, or steals my goddamn beer!!

He's not addicted to alcohol now, but he's addicted to work. We were at this house on the 4th of July. He had just came home for lunch, said what he said, then left to go back to his construction job. He's a contractor.

My neighbor is exactly the same way, quit drinking but now works 7 days a week doing landscaping work. He too owns his own business.

I guess this isn't as unusual as I thought, as the spouse of a good friend of mine is the same way: used to be alky, now a certifiable workaholic. I guess some people can't feel normal unless they are some kind of -aholic.

"Me? I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze." -Best Onion article ever.

FWIW, I work in a hospital...the general rulae amongst the doctors is that when someone reports their alcohol consumption, you should generally double it. Then again, most of our population is military/ retired military so they tend to downplay things for fear of punishment....

Once addicted, always addicted. He's still an alky, he just doesn't drink. He probably works that hard because he's afraid if he doesn't keep otherwise busy he'll go on a bender.

I've never gotten that question directly but have had hints of it from work. All my friends know that I am very moderate in my drinking. My dad was an alcoholic so I see what it can do to a person, so I set up my very strict rules for myself and have had no issues. My wife's dad was also an alcoholic for a number of years, but she knows the difference between a preference and an addiction.

Actually when my family found out I was a brewer, the first thing they asked me was, "ISNT THAT ILLEGAL?!" or "So do you do that whole bathtub gin thing?"

Evidently my family's view of homebrewing hasn't changed since the Prohibition era..:D

I get a bit of a lecture sometimes from my religious Brother-in-law. I know he means well but he can a bit naive sometimes.

He says things like, 'I could never own a expensive sports car, it would turn me into a bad person'. IMHO, it's ridiculous that a car could compromise his moral foundation.

It's two schools of thought though: what goes in a person makes one evil or what comes out is what makes one evil. I tend to think the later because it doesn't absolve me of responsibility for myself or to have good character.

On the other hand, I've had a guy give me trouble because I drank a rum and coke quickly, which was 2oz of liquid in a ton of ice. I haven't been drunk in probably two years, yet they go out and get plastered at the bars weekly. Hmm, interesting how that works.

When I'm not flat out of beer (*sob*), I'll consume two 12oz bottles every evening. That's my average, so it's not reliably every night. For the last two nights, I consumed an entire 750mL bottle of EdWort's Apfelwein. Don't know exactly how I managed to do that, but it happened...

In my experience (with a teatotalling mother, a Dad and brother who are both Navy vets, and my wife's father who is drinking himself to heaven), there are three people out there who participate in lecturing/interventions for alcoholics:

1. Those who are genuinely worried for your healthy and well being. These are the ones who are easiest to take it from, and often times will stick with you despite any changes you end up not taking.

2. Those who have a mechanical need for you to cut down on consumption, such as an employer, a neighbor, or a coach. Sometimes this group includes people who have a valid gripe against your behavior, particularly if you're belligerent or obnoxious when loaded.

and then there's

3. Those who fulfill a personal need to have you conform to their expectations of your lifestyle. I rope in the teatotallers and the religios here. You can usually tell because they seem angry at you for no good reason, probably don't really know you that well, and may think they have seen you drunk when they really haven't. This group of people have a world view into which alcohol does not fit. Or possibly they have bought into someone's rhetoric without really soul-searching their own thoughts.

All that to say... I can totally tolerate groups 1 and 2. Group 3 can go suck a lemon.

I got the questioning look by a few people that didn't understand that my love for brewing is equal to my love for cooking. My mother is a serious alcoholic and is in desperate need of treatment... she is my inspiration to keep my drinking in line... But I am now on an extended break from drinking :)

I went to the doctor and he put me on a liquid diet :)......

No Joke, but a friend of mine went to the doctor and the doc put him on a 2000 calorie a day diet.

He did the math and figured he could have 18 miller lights and a pack of lance crackers.:drunk:

I believe he may actually be an alcoholic.

kornbread

No Joke, but a friend of mine went to the doctor and the doc put him on a 2000 calorie a day diet.

He did the math and figured he could have 18 miller lights and a pack of lance crackers.:drunk:

kornbread

Naaw. 18 ML is like having 1 Barleywine. I see it as more like Beer Appreciation. Now if that were (18) 30 packs...that might be a different story.

kornbread

A pork chop in every can!!!!:D

The only bitching I get about beer is what it is costing to set up for 10 gallon all-grain. There's corny's, regs, hose, CO2 tanks, o-rings, grainmills, motors, couplings, keggles, valves, burners, fermenters, stirplates, lab glassware, sanitizers and chemicals, triclamps, and on and on and on... :eek:

The -ism lectures are about how I am addicted to the computer. Between cars, boats and beer, there is a huge Word file full of all the Log-in info I need to have backed-up for all the forums there are...

This hobby is all about obsessive/compulsion; how else do you learn, compare, shop, and drink-surf, without being online? :confused:

Back