How often do i need to re-hook up the CO2 to a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
Hi all,

As of right now I've got two kegs and one regulator with no splitter etc. I have one keg that has been carbed and serving it for two weeks.

I unhooked the gas to burst carb another keg about 48hrs ago. It was at 30 for 24 hrs and is now at 12 psi.

When should I rehook up my CO2 to keg #1? Plus what amount of gas do i hit it with and for how long?

Hi all,

As of right now I've got two kegs and one regulator with no splitter etc. I have one keg that has been carbed and serving it for two weeks.

I unhooked the gas to burst carb another keg about 48hrs ago. It was at 30 for 24 hrs and is now at 12 psi.

When should I rehook up my CO2 to keg #1? Plus what amount of gas do i hit it with and for how long?

You should always have gas going to your kegs...the absorbtion of co2 will vary based on your equipment, beer, temp, etc...so it's best to have it on both kegs. You can get a cheap splitter/manifold at Harbor Freight Tools for $6.00

I'm going to get a splitter soon but for right now I just need a stop gap.

My fridge is at 40. The beer is an IPA. I've got 6' of serving line with a picnic tap on the end.

All I need is a ball park here. Can I put the CO2 back on for 1 hr at 12psi before moving it back to beer #2 (Hefe)? Or 30 psi for 24? Or somewhere in between?

I'll look for a tee tomorrow. In the meantime its back on 12 psi for a while.

Your beer wont instantly become flat. As long as your kegs are holding pressure and the beer is fully carbed, you can take it right off the gas. It is no different than a bottle of beer at that point. If you pour some off just bump the pressure back up.

Not really. Don't mean to be a PITA here.

Closest Home Depot is 800 km away. I've checked the 2 hardware stores i've got here for a tee and come up empty.

Like I said, I plan to get a splitter soon and a tee sooner.

Let's just be hypothetical here then. Roughly how long and at what PSI would i need to hook up the gas to a corny keg @ 40F that is half kicked?

12 psi for three weeks if it's completely flat. Every time you serve you need to fill that headspace with co2. If not the co2 from your beer will fill that headspace and make it more and more flat.

thanks folks. CO2 is back on the IPA. The Hefe can hang out till i get a tee/ splitter / IPA is kicked.

Back