How much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizdumb1

Reaction score
I was wondering how long yeast can last before I wash it and jar it. I just kegged my beer on the weekend, Swirled the fermenter and dumped the yeast into a sanitized jar and tossed it in the fridge.

Am I able to put it in 250ml jars?
I'm wondering if that would give me enough for 5 gallon batches.

Attachments

• 20210908_200042.jpg
    20210908_200042.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Kind of figured out most of what I needed. Just needed to read a little. Not sure if I can delete this thread.

Kind of figured out most of what I needed. Just needed to read a little. Not sure if I can delete this thread.
Let's keep the thread. Maybe someone can find it useful at some point.

Hard to gauge the amount of yeast you harvested.
Is that a 1 liter jar about 1/3 filled with yeast (~330ml)?

Most (normal) yeast growths 4-5 times the pitched amount, depending on viability, age, gravity of wort, etc.

To answer your question, yeast can last at least a year in the fridge, even longer. Count on losing 5-10% viability (healthy live cells) per month. There's little need to "wash" it, a little trub and dead cell mass won't harm your next batch, unless it has autolyzed badly (died and disintegrated) and smells terrible (burnt rubber, liver, death).

When "washing" yeast you easily stand to lose 50% of live cells suspended in the trub layer, that you'd toss out. In most cases you can pitch the somewhat trubby yeast or make a starter with it, especially if it isn't too old.

It's really yeast "rinsing," as washing would incorporate the use of some sort of acid to kill or at least reduce bacteria.

Back