How much yeast required for refermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browarmistrz

Reaction score
so lets say i brew a lager, the thing sits in primary for about 3 weeks and then i transfer to a secondary (whether it be a carboy of a keg) for lagering. i lager for a good 3 months and plan on bottling. all of the yeast flocculates and settles on the bottom of my lagering tank so i have to pitch some yeast in addition to the priming sugar.

the question is how much? one dry yeast packet? half? (assuming i dont have any slurry around, and if i did how much of that would i use?)

thanks a lot

EDIT: assuming we're talking about a 10 gallon batch

Still shouldn't need to add yeast to bottle condition, right? Unless you use a wicked fine filter there should still be some yeast available.

I hear some people say 1/4 a packet of Nottingham. I personally just made a lager that was at 34-40 for 2-3 months and bottled it with repitching any yeast It carbed up just fine. The trick I used was jam the racking cane into the yeast at the very bottom long enough to get just a little bit of the slurry into my bottling bucket at the beginning of the transfer. That way a little bit of the original lager yeast gets mixed as you are transfering your beer into your bottling bucket with the sugar.

If I have an incredibly clear lager, and it's been lagering at 34 degrees for more than about 6 weeks or so, I'll add about 1/3 package of nottingham to the cooled priming solution for a 5 gallon batch in the bottling bucket.

Back