how much Yeast for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottballz

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I decided to brew a small 2.5 gallon batch on my dunkelweizen but I'm not sure if I should add the full package of Wyeast or not. I'm using the WYeast 3068 and from what I have heard it is pretty aggressive. I'm looking to get some nice Banana notes from the yeast so my question is, should I use the whole package or cut it in half?

with 3068 i usually pitch the package without a starter into 5 gallons of unaerated wort. for a half batch i would be tempted to try to measure and pitch half. there are a lot of opinions on how to pitch hefeweizens, some people use a lot more yeast.

with 3068 i usually pitch the package without a starter into 5 gallons of unaerated wort. for a half batch i would be tempted to try to measure and pitch half. there are a lot of opinions on how to pitch hefeweizens, some people use a lot more yeast.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Are you getting some good banana notes from the 3068? Thats really what I'm looking for in this batch.

When I brewed 2.5 gallon batches, I'd use White Labs and just pitch the whole vial. For what it's worth, I used white labs Hefe IV in a 2.5 gallon batch, pitched the whole vial, fermented a little warmer and got awesome banana notes.

Thanks for all the input fellas. I ended up brewing today and just pitched half of the yeast. I saved the other half in a sanatized mason jar so I can use it later on another batch. I have the temp around 72 degrees right now and plan on trying to get up around 75 in the next few days to really throw that banana and clove phenol. I'll check back in when its done.

Thanks for all the input fellas. I ended up brewing today and just pitched half of the yeast. I saved the other half in a sanatized mason jar so I can use it later on another batch. I have the temp around 72 degrees right now and plan on trying to get up around 75 in the next few days to really throw that banana and clove phenol. I'll check back in when its done.
in the 75 range you won't notice the clove. my understanding is that the level of clove is relatively constant but that the level of banana goes up or down with the temperature. so you might not notice the clove if you ferment too warm. i'd recommend keeping it no higher than 70. you really get into bubble gum territory if you go too warm.

Back