How much will this affect my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
My kit called for 5 gallons total, but silly me- I put 3 ice cold in my fermenter and boiled 3 with the wort and mixed it into the cold. So I've got 6 gallons :eek:

Will the beer taste watered down? I am making a light mexican beer- the SG was 1.032.... The kit did not specify what I should have started with.

On a better note I pre-sampled some of my batch #1 that has been bottled for 6 days. IT WAS GOOD!! a little too bitter at the end, but i think another week or 2 will help mellow that out. also carbination still a little low- but i am happy with the results :cool:

it will be perfect for dinkin' around in the yard in the summer - prob be a great session beer - serve it ice cold. it pob will taste a bit watered down...but it prob won't taste any watered down than any BMC.

i've actually done this on purpose with a few pilsners - makes a great refreshing beverage on a hot summer day and you can consume a larger quatity of them without getting hammersd...handy when your yard work or house work involves sharp powertools.

You won't end up with six gallons of finished product. You may have three gallons in the fermenter, cold and ready, but if you started out with three gallons in the kettle, then boiled for an hour, you lost more than you think during the boil.

I do four gallon boils - five gallons guarantees massive boilovers with my current kettle - and usually end up adding a little over 2.5 gallons of water to the fermenter after I rack from the kettle. That's 6.5 gallons, just to get me a finished product of 5 gallons, and my ABV numbers are almost always right on, if not over, the predicted values. Just relax, you'll be fine

thanks for the advice! i'm looking for a refreshing summer beer... i will update you to let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back