How much whole coffee bean in a coffee/vanilla porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make a 6% porter. I have about 4 ounces of a vanilla tincture my wife's aunt made with vodka and vanilla beans. Smells excellent. I want to make a porter and "dry hop" it with real vanilla beans and whole (maybe just cracked but not ground) coffee beans in the fermenter once fermentation is complete. I would then put the tincture in my inline filter to add it directly to the keg while packaging.
I made a coffee stout 5+ years ago where I added ground coffee at the end of the boil and found out the hard way that a little goes a long way.
I've been looking around but a lot of threads on here and elsewhere are older and I'm still left kind of unsure.
I was thinking 3 ounces. I want to definitely pick up the coffee flavor, but for it to take a back seat to the vanilla.
Thanks all 🙂

This sounds like one of those "I've seen so much conflicting information that I thought I'd better start yet another thread to settle it" threads. :)

Here's my input on dry beaning with whole coffee beans: I use 2-4 ounces for 2-3 days (per 5 gallons), depending on how much coffee flavor I want. It does depend somewhat on the particular coffee (strength).

This sounds like one of those "I've seen so much conflicting information that I thought I'd better start yet another thread to settle it" threads. :)

Here's my input on dry beaning with whole coffee beans: I use 2-4 ounces for 2-3 days (per 5 gallons), depending on how much coffee flavor I want. It does depend somewhat on the particular coffee (strength).
Sorry to clutter the forum with another thread, lol
So, I guess my 3 ounces may be spot on as it'll be in 6 gallons

I just now dry beaned my porter. I had an idea in my head of what 3oz of beans would look like, but in reality it was 3 times more, lol. Also added four split and chopped up whole vanilla beans. Posting again here in case anyone else looks this up. I'll post again once this is finally ready to drink.
The beer is now at the end of a d rest at 71⁰
I usually cold crash after dry hopping and then keg. I guess I'll do the same for this beer even though clarity isn't really an issue.

Attachments

• PXL_20210208_182112931.jpg
    PXL_20210208_182112931.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 64
I just now dry beaned my porter. I had an idea in my head of what 3oz of beans would look like, but in reality it was 3 times more, lol. Also added four split and chopped up whole vanilla beans. Posting again here in case anyone else looks this up. I'll post again once this is finally ready to drink.
The beer is now at the end of a d rest at 71⁰
I usually cold crash after dry hopping and then keg. I guess I'll do the same for this beer even though clarity isn't really an issue.

i had the same experience...haha. In my case i cut if off at the first oz though. I let them dry bean for 24 hours at ferm temp (~65F). This was the level of coffee i was going for, but also afraid to over do it.

That said, I am looking forward to your experience with 3oz and several days. I have a stout about to get a cocoa nib tincture added for a few days, followed by a day of coffee (planned). perhaps I will augment the coffee plan based on your results.

I am interested in the contraption you put together for this. DM if that is off topic.

Thank you.
It's meant for o2 free dry hopping. It's just a butterfly valve, sight glass, 4" spool, and my spunding valve & prv on a t on top. I only went with the sight glass because the inner diameter isn't that big for 1.5" tc stuff and I want to visually see the hops have dropped. You kinda have to work the valve back and forth and tap it a bit with a small dead blow hammer. Works really well. Do not fill it any higher than 3/4 fill imo. I was.gonna do the same thing with the 4" TC port in my fermenter, but that is VERY expensive and this works just fine.

Recently did 2oz of cracked beans in 6 gallons for 24 hours in a 6.6% Oatmeal Stout was shockingly strong.

Ideally at cold temps right before packaging.

The shorter time generally means less vegetal/pepper character from the beans but again that depends on the beans and the roast.

I’m actually going to try not cracking the beans next time.

Do you sanitize the beans? I ask because I've tried doing this with coffee beans and my obsessive "better safe than sorry" personality says I should soak the beans in vodka first. I'm still a noob at all this so my fermentation vessel is still good ol' fashion plastic. I put dry hop material in a bag in the fermenter using the stainless nut and magnet on the lid trick.

Do you sanitize the beans?

I have dry beaned with coffee many times. I don't sanitize them and have never had an issue. And I can't recall ever hearing of someone having a contamination issued attributed to doing it that way.

Do you sanitize the beans? I ask because I've tried doing this with coffee beans and my obsessive "better safe than sorry" personality says I should soak the beans in vodka first. I'm still a noob at all this so my fermentation vessel is still good ol' fashion plastic. I put dry hop material in a bag in the fermenter using the stainless nut and magnet on the lid trick.
I might have tossed some star san in the bowl i weigh them in, but otherwise they went right in

I did not sanitize. My reasoning here is that the yeast already won the battle and there should be enough alcohol present to avoid any infection risk. I poured the beans into a clean bowl to measure, and into a new ziplock bag to crush. Cut the vanilla beans with a clean knife on clean teflon cutting board.
The beans are medium roast. I hope I haven't overdone the coffee flavor, but I'll find out soon.

Ok, so I kegged the beer today and imo the coffee flavor is almost perfect. I might dial it back to 2.5oz if I made the same beer again.
My wife however thinks it's perfect and she wouldn't want any less and maybe a bit more even.

You know you got it right when it's good but tasters are split between not enough and too much.

The coffee will fade with time. So depending on how long you will be drinking this beer it may not hurt to go a bit heavy.

Using a tincture is easier and safer. On the contamination issue and dosage, because you can test it first. Also, anyone have ever tried to use instant coffee at bottling? There are some lyophilized that smells and tastes even better than brew coffee.

Using a tincture is easier and safer. On the contamination issue and dosage, because you can test it first. Also, anyone have ever tried to use instant coffee at bottling? There are some lyophilized that smells and tastes even better than brew coffee.
I don't bottle and I did use both a tincture and whole vanilla beans for the vanilla. I'm not worried at all about infection after fermentation is complete

The coffee will fade with time. So depending on how long you will be drinking this beer it may not hurt to go a bit heavy.
Nothing easier than just drop some whole grains. But this is true. I have found that 2oz is subtle and 4oz is more bold. Both raw uncrushed grains. Lately I like more to do 3oz one week before keging. Everything works. It is just how you like it ;-)

Back