How much water for grains calculator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
Is there a simple calculator out there that I could just put in the weight of grains and it would tell me how much mash water and sparge water to use for the amount of wort needed? Basically I have a little oatmeal stout 1 gallon and it's yields 2.25lbs of base grains and 10oz. Of specialty grains. It's all in one mesh bag for the mash to do it in a pot but I'm having trouble with how much water needed before boil to end up with roughly 1 gallon. I've done 5g me problem but worried about the boil off for a small batch???

1.25-1.5 qts to every pound of grain

example 10 lb grist, 1.25 times 10 =12.5 qts= 3.1 gallons then i would sparge with 4-5 gallons give or take..try to have a preboil of around 7 gallons

If it's in the same pot, the boil off will be the same.

Use my calculator below, it is applicable to any mash in a bag situation, and can be used for mashing in a mash tun as well if you add an additional temp to the strike temp in order to heat the mash tun.

Back