How much water do I need in total?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarculetzC13

Reaction score
I want to obtain 5 gallons (like 19 L) of beer. I want to use weyermann pale ale (4.5 kg). At 60 mins of boiling i want to add Chinook (20 grams, 12.2 AA), at 15 mins i want to add Cascade (15 grams, 5.8 AA) + irish moss (1.5g) and at 5 mins Cascade (15 grams, 5.8 AA). I am using Safale US 05 yeast. ( This should be the result: đź“· https://gyazo.com/49dc26a260f2f5a8b4c0330b0a1ddfe8 ). I am not sure if this is a good recipe and how much water i need. Can anyone correct it and help me? (i only have weyermann pale ale availlable rn)

Several good calculators out there for free to guide you such as: Brewer's Friend, BrewCipher, Brewgr, BIABCalculator and/or PricelessBrewing if brewing via BIAB...you need to be more specific on HOW you are brewing as each has different requirements (i.e. Extract, all-grain via BIAB, all grain via multiple vessels, etc.)

Do a boil test, put 8 gallons of water in your kettle and boil for an hour and then measure what is left.
My basic (all grain) rules of thumb: Beer volume +boil off evaporation (about a gallon with my kettle)+about a gallon for grain absorption per 5 gallon batch plus 1/2 gallon kettle trub.
So start with about 7.5 gallons and see if you have to add or subtract.

The amount of water needed to hit your final batch size - what is actually package is dependent on your system losses and recipe. Below is a snapshot of how my program calculates water quantities - as you can see to hit the number precisely there are a lot of factors. This level of precision is not really necessary. If using a calculator you will need to know things like deadspace losses, expected amount of wort left behind during transfers, boil rates, etc. to be somewhat close.

1618879214706.png

you simply need to document all your losses for YOUR process and factor all that back into the beginning.

How much on average remains in the fermenter once you package 5 gal? How much on average remains in the kettle after the fermenter is filled? How much on average is boiled off? Add all that up and that's what you need to start your boil at.

So then mash and sparge to obtain that amount and you will get your 5 gal of beer in your pint glass when it's over. That's how much water you need to start.

If you need more or less water than what the recipe calls for then you will have to adjust your ingredients accordingly since you are either more efficient or less efficient than he who wrote that recipe.

Latest posts

Back