How much time in primary vs secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I brewed a Nut Brown – my 1st batch – 10 days ago. I will be racking to a secondary for a couple reason – 1) I want to learn the process, 2) I want to free up my primary to start another batch.

I took a couple of hydrometer readings and I appear to be holding steady at 1.014.

I need some advice on when to rack to secondary, because I’ve got to work around an upcoming vacation.

Here are the 4 options I’ve got:

Option #1: 1.5 weeks primary, 1.5 weeks secondary, then bottle
Option #2: 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary, then bottle
Option #3: 2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary, then bottle
Option #4: 3 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, then bottle

What would you do?

Thanks!

I understand you wanting to learn the process but you don't NEED to secondary that beer unless you're going to do prolong aging, dryhopping, or adding fruit or something. I say 3 weeks primary and go straight to bottling.

If you want to transfer to secondary, I would go with option 3. I you've got a stabilized FG after 10 days I wouldn't recommend transferring after 3 weeks. You want there to be enough activity in the secondary to create a nice layer of CO2 in the headspace. I'd worry that after 2+ weeks at finished gravity the yeast wouldn't be active enough to protect the beer in secondary. Personally I've pretty much been converted to the 'long primary' camp unless I'm adding fruit, dry hopping, etc.

I also like #3 the best, but #2 should also work OK for a brown. I usually go 2-2 myself, it keeps my primaries and secondaries in good rotation so I can brew once a week if I want.

Secondary? What's that? ;)

Seriously though, if you've put this in the primary for 3 weeks, you're probably just fine to put this ale in to bottles to start their 3-4 week journey of conditioning. That's the option I would chose. But like anything with beer - there's plenty of ways you can do it. :mug:

I've gone with #2 every time with great results. There is no real right or wrong. I have a 3 week rotation so I can have a carboy free. I'm in a 3 carboy rotation.

Number 2 or 3. Or once you are more comfortable brewing try leaving in the primary. I will leave my beers in the primary unless i need room for another beer then it gets racked to secondary.

Latest posts

Back