How much priming sugar for Muntons Irish Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 34291

Reaction score
Im brewing my first time homebrew and i have a question about priming sugar.

I have a batch of Munton's Irish Stout fermenting and its almost time to bottle, but im stuck on the amount of sugar to put into the beer for bottling.

The muntons calls for six gallons of water for their mix. But all the resources ive been able to find have amounts of sugar for 5 gallon brews, 3/4 a cup.

So my question is does anyone know how much sugar i should use? The directions say to add half a teaspoon to each pint bottle, but i have irregular sized bottles. Some are pints some are standard 12oz. and i have a few 1 liter grolsch bottles. My intentions were to mix the sugar with some water and boil it and then add it to the beer and then bottle it, but im not sure how much to use for six gallons.

Any help or tips would be very appreciated. This site has been very helpfull during my first time brew process.

THANKS!

Welcome to HBT!

The standard is 1 oz priming sugar per gallon of beer. You may have started with 6 gallons but you will lose some to trub and racking. Also, stout tends to have a little lower carbonation than some beer. If you use 5 oz of priming sugar (3/4 cup if you don't have a scale), you should have nice carbonation if you end up with 5.5 gallons.

BTW, buy a scale! 3/4 cup is not a good measurement if you really want to know how much sugar you are putting in. Some sugars are more compacted so measuring by volume rather than weight is inaccurate at best. You can buy a nice scale for $10 - $15 dollars and can use it for hops, sugars, and grains.

Nurmey's right, BUT...

Another option is to carb it to style, and according beersmith, carbing a dry stout to style you would aim for between 1.8 and 2.5 volumes of co2. to bottle it (at 68 degrees) you would be using between 2.52 and 4.39 ounces of corn sugar.

It's your decision whether you would want ti at the low or the high, or somewhere in the middle of the style.

One thing to realize, is that often stouts take a little longer to carb and condition...mine tend to take abour 4-6 weeks as opposed to the 3 weeks @ 70 for most beers.

Muntons Irish Stout was my first beer as well, I added the standard 3/4 cups of corn sugar(2/3 cups if you are using cane).

Let me know how yours turns out, because mine tasted very earthy

thanks guys! geez you're quick around here.

i didnt take into account the portion of the beer that wouldn't be rack-able and the portion that wouldn't get bottled.

I would like to have my stout on the higher side of carbonation but im worried about exploding bottles.

So, erring on the side of caution, shooting for middle of the road CO2 would be ideal.

1 more quick question, i have Corn Sugar that i got from my local brew supply store. Do i need to boil it in water before adding it to the beer and if so how much water would you suggest for 3/4 a cup of Corn Sugar?

Yes, always boil the sugar to make a simple syrup. I use anywhere from 1-2 cups of water. An exact measurement isn't really important, just have enough water to dissolve the sugar and allow it to mix easier into your beer.

Back