how much priming sugar for kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew300

Reaction score
I have read many different thoughts about how much priming sugar to use for kegging. Some people say anywhere from 1/3 the amount you would usually use for bottling and some say to use the full amount. Let me know how much you use. Also, when purging the keg with co2, do you leave some pressure on after purging or just put the lid on? Thanks!

I prime all my kegs, using the nomograph from how to brew. I then purge and set the seal on the corny. This usually takes about 20 psi, leaving that pressure on the keg until the gas stops hissing. Lastly
I only add pressure in 10 psi bursts for serving once a day, if that.

I know my method is a little unconventional. I used to have a gas leak back in the day and got used to doing it this way to save gas, which I consider a huge PITA to obtain.

As someone slowly getting into kegging I must ask why you wish to prime with sugar rather than force carbing. I'm not questioning your theories, just trying to learn myself.

just trying out some different options. i will try to force carb later and compare. the main reason i am priming right now is because i only have a 5 lb co2 tank which is inside my kegerator.

I used to prime due to a co2 leak. Now I prime so I can have more kegs ready to go than I have space in the fridge/on the gas regulator.

The key thing for me is using proper priming amounts. That chart in how to brew is invaluable.

well after putting it into beersmith, it said i should have used around 2oz of corn sugar and i used close to 4. is there any way i can fix this or am i going to have overcarbed beer? would pulling some of the pressure out help?

i overcarbed the crap out of a few kegs before I thought about what I was doing.

just bleed the pressure flat once a day for a few days until you get it right (keeping it off the gas). The CO2 comes out of the beer to equalize the headspace after you bleed it off.

I prime kegs for the fact that it is easy. You dont even need to dissolve it in water (that whole sanitation thing is for the birds...:) )

i overcarbed the crap out of a few kegs before I thought about what I was doing.

just bleed the pressure flat once a day for a few days until you get it right (keeping it off the gas). The CO2 comes out of the beer to equalize the headspace after you bleed it off.

I prime kegs for the fact that it is easy. You dont even need to dissolve it in water (that whole sanitation thing is for the birds...:) )

ok, i just did it last night. should i let it carb for a week or two and then release the pressure or should i start doing it right away?

Let it sit. It will not have significant pressure for a week at 70, more than likely. If you hit it once after a WEEK at 70, that may be enough, seeing as it will not have had a chance to overcarb.

I would then let it sit for another 2 weeks, chill it and see how it pours. If it is too much, turn off the gas, bleed it off and let it sit over night. Repeat until it is all good.

Back