How much is left in the keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodder

Reaction score
So, I converted a keggle for BIAB last night. With the ball valve installed at the lowest point possible above the bottom weld, and a dip tube going further down into the keg, physics says that the water will equalize at the level of the spout. How is everyone getting that last amount from the keg? Just tipping it? I mean there's over a gallon or so left that doesn't come out from just opening the valve into your fermentor.

Curious how people are handling it.

So your diptube goes to the bottom of the keggle, and when you drain there's not much left? I'll take a pic of the configuration I was suggested to get from bargainfittings.com.

DSC00709.jpg

DSC00710.jpg

You need to either have tubing coming off your ball valve, then lower than the bottom of the keggle, or a pump. I use a pump.

Gotcha. I mean I have a siphon, just was wondering the point of the valve at all if it isn't efficient in getting the full volume out.

Yes, the siphon "sucks" out all of the wort in the kettle to the level of the bottom of the diptube. Once you start sucking air, the siphon breaks and that's the end.

My diptube is not all the way in the middle, like Passedpawn's is. Mine is about 1/3 of the way in, to the bottom. It still gets most of the wort, but leaves the sludge that is in the very bottom behind, unless I tip the keg (and I typically don't). I leave behind maybe a quart(?) or so.

Yes, the siphon "sucks" out all of the wort in the kettle to the level of the bottom of the diptube. Once you start sucking air, the siphon breaks and that's the end.

My diptube is not all the way in the middle, like Passedpawn's is. Mine is about 1/3 of the way in, to the bottom. It still gets most of the wort, but leaves the sludge that is in the very bottom behind, unless I tip the keg (and I typically don't). I leave behind maybe a quart(?) or so.

So I need to have a hose attached to the nipple and actually do a siphon, and not just a gravity release then?

I was wondering the same question too as I am also building my keggle. But sure enough having a tube hooked up on the outside will definitely suck most of the liquid up. In a wet test run in mine I was able to only have about 1/4 - 1/2 cup left in the bottom.

image-2813613346.jpg

So I need to have a hose attached to the nipple and actually do a siphon, and not just a gravity release then?

Yes, that's right.

If you have the tubing on the ball valve, and the end of the tubing at the bottom of the vessel you're filling, the siphon effect will "pull" out the wort below the spigot. Once you start sucking air, then the siphon will break.

That works for all vessels, like MLTs, when you actually get the wort from under the false bottom out via the same process.

Grrr yeah. So it looks like I should have made an assembly that reaches farther down. I just asked the vendor for a suggestion, figuring that he sold a lot of kits for that purpose and would know the rig that is best. I doubt he would exchange, and for the shipping might not even be worth it. Doesn't look like Lowes or Home Depot carry much in the way of stainless.

Yeah that's an interesting design as well. It looks like I might just need to modify my current rig with a 45 instead of the 90 elbow, and I should be rockin'.

Back