How much honey should I add to make a sparkling cider at ~3 volumes of carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stretch_s

Reaction score
I bought some really tasty local honey from a friend and I'd like to use it to make half of my recent batch of hard cider into a sparkling version. I know that honey will ferment aggressively and I don't want to overdo it and have a bunch of grenades going off in my basement. Does anyone have any suggestions or a reliable recipe for getting the desired carbonation?

Thanks from a newbie,
Stretch

Hey thanks, Dave C!

Do you have a chart that you work from for various carbonation levels? Or how did you come to such a precise answer? Years of experience?

Thanks again,
s

I work on 1 gravity point per 0.5 volumes of carbonation. i.e. for 3 volumes of CO2 you need to ferment 0.006 SG points. This avoids needing to use tables etc. In your case (assuming your cider has finished at 1.000) you need to add honey until the SG reaches 1.006, then bottle. If you don't have a hydrometer, it should be your next bit of kit.

Back