How much hibiscus in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarkWhite

Reaction score
My primary fermentation for a hefe has finished and I'm getting ready to condition with Hibiscus leaves. I have a pound (16oz). I've read so many threads all over the net about hibiscus but was wondering what your guys thoughts were on how much to use for secondary? Alot of people make a tea but I feel as if cold conditioning will do just as well. Looking for vibrant color and taste.

Can't help with hibiscus in secondary, but I've done an IPA a couple times with hibiscus in the boil (10 min). I did it with 2oz and 4oz. Both turned out great.

I used a full pound in a pale ale and you get alot of flavor and color if you just want color you can get away woth 4oz. Also I would use a tea just from the amount of beer a pound would absorb.

Would you say the flavor was good? Did you enjoy it being a whole pound? Or would you scale back at all? Also what did you do for your tea? How many cups of water?

I enjoyed it. It does have a tangy taste. You could always start with 4oz and then add more until you get what you want. I just did a half gallon of water and I think I ended up draining what I got and then and then adding more water. I don't take great notes sorry. I will definitely repeat this recipe someday though.

if you make a tea you can add until you get the flavor right. i definitely recommend it for your first time.

boil an amount of water that will just cover all the flowers, then kill the heat. put the flowers in and let them soak for a while, say 30 minutes, stirred a few times. should get blood red, almost blackish purple.

i dont know about "tangy" but the flavor is definitely tart. and also a little bit bitter, which is why the tea typically has a ton of sugar in it.

if you make a good strong tea concentrate, you can just add a cup at a time until you get where you want in terms of flavor.

then by judging how much tea you have left you'll have an idea for next time how many flowers to use.

Back