How much headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wordsmith

Reaction score
I'm scheming my next batch, which will be my first mead. I was planning to do either 2 or 5 gallons. I've done a few batches of beer and one of Apfelwein, and the dramatic differences between US-05, EC-1118 and Red Star Montrachet krausen-wise have me wondering how much headspace I need. Can I do a 5 gallon mead in a 5 gallon carboy with Red Star Pasteur Champagne (I have some already) like I could with Montrachet, or will my foaming be more like Ec-1118/Ale yeast? What if I used something more normal for mead? How much headspace do I need?

Try this method, add only half you ingrediants and pitch, let your yeast grow and get situated. After about three days when shes rocking add anouther 25% of honey and nutrients. next day, pack her full. Works great with 71-b.

I typically aim to have 1 gallon of head space for my meads. I use 1/6bbl sanke keg for fermenters, so I make 4 gallon batches in them. I mix the entire batch at the one time, getting it all in there. I also add the nutrient to the must that it should need. I've done both adding all the nutrient at the start, and staggering it, with the same results. Be sure to aerate/degass the must periodically until the 1/3 break, then leave it alone.

I've used Lalvin yeast almost exclusively for my meads (used Wyeast Eau de Vie for one batch). I match the mead/must formulation to what the yeast will handle. Never been disappointed this way.

Before you make your first batch, look over the forums on the Got Mead? site. TONS of information to be found there. Far more people there making mead than over here.

Latest posts

Back