How much have you spent on equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering where some of you get those deals like $20 cornies, low cost 15.5 MLT, HLT, etc.

I have some cornies that I paid $12 for! I actually had 4-5 stored in my garage for over a year while I was bottling. I knew it was a good price, so I went for it.

As for the 15.5 kegs, I went to a store, asked if they had any I could buy and they charged me $10/each. :mug: That's all I'm saying. There are still good legal deals to be had such as Half Barrel Brew Kettle for $139.

Also, make everything that you can. Lot's of money to be saved that way!

My wife doesn't visit this forum :) , but honestly I've only got a few hundred bucks into this so far, but I'm real basic yet. Got a complete 5 gallon kit, I just bought a glass secondary a few weeks ago. My next purchase is probably going to be a good size pot, probably a set of 32 oz swing bottles, etc.

It adds up but I like to tell myself it's saving me money on the $10 six packs at the liquor store ;).

I just bought a glass secondary
As a recent better bottle convert, check them out before you get too many glass carboy's, they are light, and having broken my fair share of carboys(without getting hurt), i am basically done with those glass carboys as much as possible...

one of the reasons I haven't said how much and in the event that I do get divorced I don't want that number out there for the lawyer to see... but its way to much

The really big swing for me is whether or not you count my pub as "equipment".

Strictly "beer equip" is still a lot... 20 gallon single teir system... DIY walk in cooler... three ferm. fridges... all sorts of misc stuff.. all my kegging equip.... all of that stuff has got to be well over $5k... and then if you add the pub, all said and done, it jumps to $55-$60k

Lets see, I'm in for about $1200. That includes stuff for AG, even though I'm still doing extract batches. Kegging setup w/ 14cuFt freezer, Large pot and Barley Crusher.

Although, soon it will be much more, as we finish our basement and include a bar/ brewing area.

Most of my stuff has come from craigslist. 5 carboys @ 20 each. 2 5 gallons @ 10 each. Original starter kit was around 120. Kegerator - 100, new tower and used perlicks, 150, 14 kegs - about 200 dollars (I got some good deals!), 42 qt. mash tun - 10 bucks, cpvc manifold - another 10, weldless fittings- around 100, 42 qt. stainless pot - 35 dollars, second fridge - 10 bucks, fermentation freezer (14.8 cu. ft.) - 120 bucks, various other things - 200+ I'm sure.

A little over a grand sounds about right for everything I have. It also has been over two years, so it isn't so bad.

I don't feel so bad about my initial investment anymore. I spend way more on the ingredients than I ever did on my equipment (now that I've been doing this a while). I guess I'm saving money because I'm not buying so much beer and wine at the sore ;)

JB

I think I got more in my brewing library than I have in equipment. I built most everything I use, but I still haven't ponied up to a kegging system yet and thats next.

But now that I think about it, I still only brew 2.5 gal and the occasional 5 gal batches.

$300 Initial extract set up including kettle, bottling bucket, 2 cases of bottles, bottle caper, 2 carboys and other miscellaneous gear.
$135 Barley crusher
$80 Turkey fryer
$300 Brewing rig, hoses and cooler parts
$150 Stainless 40 QT kettle
$50 Temperature controller
$50 Storage bins for grains and equipment
$28 Grain scale
$42 Stir plate
$50 Chiller
$100 Other miscellaneous items such as 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask, tubing and hose clamps

$1285 as of now. I figure within the next 2 years I will probably add kegging equipement, another carboy or two, either a Blichman or Polarware kettle and MLT along with a new brew rig, and if I am ever confronted by SWIMBO it will be easier to ask forgiveness at that point than permission when I am spending the money.

I'm at about $850 right not and I'd consider myself a n00b. that number includes almost everything I've spent so far though. I mean everything I could think of including the scentless dish soap, alum foil, grolsch bottles, ingredients so far, bottle sprayer, HD buckets, etc. I haven't accounted for heat energy cost and I quit tallying water cost after I found out 4 gallons cost me $ .01

I bought my first equipment from craig's, then some more equip from craig's, an order from hops direct and a bulk buy of (2) 55# of grain. so if you wanted to take ingredients off my list it would knock off about $270. I've made 11 batches and pry have enough ingredients to make another 9-10 batches less specialty grains.

edit: I can do all grain batches on my stove of about 5-5.5 gallons. future purchases/wish list include a better immersion chiller ( I have 20' 1/4" OD), ferm control & another kettle

I've probably spent $1000 building my set up and buying all the stuff that I couldn't make my self. Maybe a little more if you want to count the broken carboys I've had to replace. But it's really hard to say exactly. I've been brewing since 1993-1994. You can accumulate a lot of stuff in that amount of time.

Well just new to this AG business, I started by buying 3 used kegs...$150 for the three of them, then put in an order at Midwest for $130, by that point I figured I was committed, bought parts from Weldless, Bargain and AHS. Decided to pull the pin on 10 tip burners from Shopperchoice and a few Ebay purchases. Let just say that once you are committed, that's it. I figure I need to spend another ~$500 or so in the next few weeks. This should bring it to over $1200 for a full setup brew rig. Told SWIMBO that I would work a lot of OT in the nest few months. Damn!

Had my extract equipment given to me as gifts. (bottling bucket, autosiphon, plastic paddle, 5-gallon stock pot, 2x-wing and 1x-bench capper, 6.5 gal bucket and 6 gallon carboy, hydrometer, floating thermometer, 2 airlocks, 1 bung, bottle brush, carboy brush -- and an immersion chiller from my sister for my birthday back when copper was still cheap)

A few years later, bought some additional stuff, maybe about $50 invested in a 6.5gal carboy, some grain bags, some bottle caps, carboy dryer etc.

Stopped brewing for about 4 years.

Last year SWMBO asks when I can teach her to make beer. We do an extract kit and I remembered why I loved brewing so much. So I decided to go all grain.

First, need 4 new airlocks: $5
Some bungs and whatnot: $10
1 5-gallon cooler: Christmas present
1 turkey fryer with 32qt pot: free

So far, doing great at keeping the cost down! So then....

1 10-gallon cooler: $40 @ home depot
hardware for both to become MLT: $50
3 hydrometers from breaking them one after another: $18
three true brew thermometers because I was having temp issues: $18
A thermapen, since the thermometers all sucked: $120
A barley crusher since I didn't like the LHBS crush: $120
Broke a plastic paddle, need a stainless spoon: $8
Bent the stainless spoon, need a grout mixer: $18
2 more bucket fermenters: $30
Hundreds of bottles for all this beer: $40

Wow, I have a lot of crap, need a way to store it:
2 wire-rack shelves from Lowes: $100
1 plastic table from BJs: $40

Then I'll start "saving" money by freezing some yeasties:
Homemade Stir plate: $40
Flasks for stir plate: $40
Assorted Stir bars: $10
Vials for freezing yeast: $12

This bottling thing sucks, so I'm gonna keg:
5-lb CO2 tank with regulator: Free
hydro testing on CO2 tank: $17
10 corny kegs: $200
O-rings for kegs: $30
10-lb CO2 tank because I "need" two tanks: $78
Regulator for 2nd CO2 tank: $50
QDs and tubing to run four kegs: $100
Oops, found some leaky poppets: $40
Mini fridge for one keg: $30

Wanna make some apfelwein, don't wanna use my beer fermenters:
2 Homer buckets: $6
2 more airlocks: $4
2 grommets for airlocks: $1.02

Need more tubing, all this old stuff sucks: $30

Starsan, propane, electricity, natural gas, beer ingredients, paper towels, water usage, want a keezer, want more propane burners, want some pumps, want some keggles, want want want....

From what I count that makes it $1,305 for just equipment in the past 8 months. I could have bought 8 bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue label for that... wow, first time I laid this all out.

Probably around $800 by now... But I just spent $280 on kegging equipment during the past three weeks. Before that, it was mostly sub-$50 items like Better Bottles, bench capper, stirplate, ribcage chiller, bottle tree, refractometer, etc.

I haven't brewed my first batch yet, and it's already starting to add up.

2x15gal kegs = $80
2x 25L Carboys = $40
Cooler for MTL = $40 + parts ($40)
Mill (40$ so far! another 20-30 and shes done (DIY))
Chiller = $60

2.2L Subaru Engine $400 (I know not beer related btu I foud it while searching Kijiji for beer stuff)

Kegerator: $276
Fridge—free
Six corny kegs—$40
Three shanks with four faucets and a three-way Co2 splitter for $50
One shank—free
Four Perlick faucets —$86
Two tap handles—$20
10-pound Co2 tank for $20
Five pound Co2 tank—free
Two tap handles—free
Misc. hardware and hoses—$60

Mashing/Boiling/Fermenting:$505
Three propane burners—free
Two 20 pound propane tanks—$50
Two keggles with welding—$160
Five Sanke kegs for fermentors — $100
Three ten-gallon coolers for my mash tuns and HLTs—free
Two five gallon coolers for HLTs—$45
Misc. hardware—$150

Bottling:$107
48 old Grolsch bottles—free
100's of brown 12 oz bottles—free
Vinator—$25
Capper—$32
Misc. caps and hardware—$50

Total—$888

I've probably forgotten something but that's pretty close.

I forgot about my beer refrigerator.
Fridge,faucets, shanks, drip tray with back splash, regulator and tubing.
WOW!!! $720 for the beer fridge. I have almost as much invested in the beer fridge as I do in the brewing equipment.

I forgot about my beer refrigerator.
Fridge,faucets, shanks, drip tray with back splash, regulator and tubing.
WOW!!! $720 for the beer fridge. I have almost as much invested in the beer fridge as I do in the brewing equipment.

Haha, I have WAY more invested in my keggerator than my equipment.

Equipment: ~$250, well, $350 counting corny kegs.

Keggerator: ~$900 (4 perlicks, 2 stout faucets, nitro tank and reg, etc)

Haha, I have WAY more invested in my keggerator than my equipment.

Equipment: ~$250, well, $350 counting corny kegs.

Keggerator: ~$900 (4 perlicks, 2 stout faucets, nitro tank and reg, etc)

I would have counted my tanks but I picked those up along time ago in my scuba diving days and I can't even remember what I paid for them. Something like $25 a peace.

I am in the middle of a rebuild, which is a compact two-tier, all direct-fired electric, 10 gallon system (three 15.5 keggles). This build is estimated at about $1100 - $1200.

I hope to have it finished by the beginning of the summer (fingers crossed).

Just this year alone I'm already up to $3500. -All Stainless Steel Brutus Build, Fermentation chamber, conicals yet to be paid for.
I hope do be done with buying brew stuff for a while. -Is that even possible?

How much.. hmm.. I started in brewing for about $300..
But you always want the extras.. We are greedy bastidages..

Well let's just say that you cannot put a price on sanity.. Brewing Beer keeps me sane.. I get so focused on what I am brewing and my process.. I do not think about anything else for about 4 hours.. Its a great escape..

with my c02 system and kegerator, euro faucet, boil pots, ect im 2800 in.
never mind the fact i really would love a brutus 10 set up.

:mug:

my girl friend stopped asking.
Though my cigar and pipe habit she isnt happy about.
For the other 2 past time that go hand and hand for brew day im like 5k in.

Sawdustguy....I love the signature quote.:D

I'm in about 750.00 and I don't need anything else. I do plan many upgrades however, as I am using homemade stuff mostly. It works great everytime, so the is by no means any rush.

I haven't kept track, but I do know it's been worth every penny.

Probably around $1,500 since I started last summer (AG). I bought a ton of stuff I didn't need, though. I could have kept it under $1,000 if I had known exactly what I needed, and more like $500 if I didn't keep getting the itch to upgrade.

Really.
You might as well ask my wife how many I have slept with.
Both reponses will get equal results.

I am guessing somewhere around a thousand. But it just a guess as I have been doing this on and off for 10 years now and I did not keep records.

Much more than I want to think about. Would love to get rid of it all and start over. Would be much more efficient now with my purchasing.

Back