How much for used bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john901

Reaction score
I'm wondering how much people pay for their bottles?
I know i get some that are given to me and i collect my own.
I get a lot at the redemption center near me, they charge 10 cents a bottle.
I wasn't sure if that if right or not. In NY the deposit is five cents, so i thought it would be 5 cents.
It's not a big deal since they are helping me out and it is twice the work for them collecting and selling them.
Just wasn't sure if other places do the same or not.

The redemption center I go to charges me what they pay, 5 cents a bottle. You may want to shop around, see what another redemption center will charge you.
:mug:

If you know anyone that drinks craft beer, just ask them to save their empties. My basement is starting to get pretty full at this point from all of the ones that people bring over. I usually give them a couple full ones as a thank you.

Sometimes the ones they bring over can be a little grimy, so I soak them in hot water with oxyclean which cleans them up and helps get rid of the labels.

If that fails, I've seen posts on craigslist offering free bottles from time to time, and I've also seen people post asking for empties. I'm sure there are tons of people that just recycle them, so you might get a taker or two that way as well.

I don't have enough friends that drink craft beer, so I gladly pay a small fee for a used bottle if it's the right style. I usually pick up empty champagne bottles from the tasting room at the local winery for 15 cents each whenever I stop by there. They're 750ml, take a crown cap and they're all identical.

I've had people bring me random crap bottles even though I've told them I don't want the twist off ones. I had a co-worker bring me about a dozen empty Sprecher root beer bottles and another friend drop off some other assorted twist offs that all pretty much went straight to the recycle bin.

Man - you poor ba$tards that have to buy bottles :( Next time you drive to go Frolic in Florida, stop by here and get a few hundred. I'll try to drink a bunch of crafty sorta pry offs in the meantime just to be sure there's plenty.

I pay $.10 for 12 oz, $.15 for 22 oz bombers, and $.25 for swing tops at my local redemption center. It's well worth the money if you need bottles. I too, ask everyone I know to save me bottles. I don't mind sorting through the twist offs and other junk for the good free ones. It doesn't cost anything to recycle them , and a lot of the twist offs can be caped. I use them to bottle my ciders and Skeeter Pee and other stuff that I often give away.

When it comes right down to it, What are they worth to you?

Back