How much for an empty keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneticjim

Reaction score
Hey all,
How much should I expect to pay for an empty used keg to convert into a Keggle?

Some people buy a keg of something they want to drink, then just don't take it back and eat the deposit... So, it depends on what the deposit is in your area. When I was buying kegged beer in Rochester NY about 5 years ago that was $55.

Breweries own those kegs and the deposit doesn't even come close to covering the actual cost of the keg. If you want to actually buy a keg expect to pay more than that.

Talk to some of your local Micro's. Good chance they have a busted keg laying around and would be happy to help a Home Brewer. I got mine that way and paid $40.

Some people buy a keg of something they want to drink, then just don't take it back and eat the deposit... So, it depends on what the deposit is in your area. When I was buying kegged beer in Rochester NY about 5 years ago that was $55.

Don't do this. As said it is theft. It give homebrewers a bad name.

My conscience would not even allow me to do it.....

OK. Should I just buy a nice boil pot then?

Yes, or find an existing keggle. There are so many affordable options these days it really doesn't make too much sense to build a keggle. 15-20 years ago this was not the case so keggles were a reasonable solution.

So how big of a boil pot do I need if I want to do a 5g batch? I am going to start with an extract just to get my feet wet then move to full grain.

Latest posts

Back