How much does mash temp really effect mouthfeel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The half that gets the longer boil will have higher IBUs, right? I know hop utilization falls off after about 90 minutes or something, so it might not make a big difference in a low IBU beer, but for an IPA it might change it noticably, correct? Might be something to think about.
Maybe I should use a hop tea boiled for 60, and that is the only hop addition I'll use. Put in into the wert as it goes into the fermenter. Something English with a medium AA, Fuggles or EKG. Just enough hops to know it is beer. Comments are appreciated. So this is my next brew day. Maybe next Fri or Sat. :mug:

To make it as "correct" as possible I believe you should not top it up, but start the boil with the correct amount of water to boil for three hours. I'm getting quite different results with beers which are topped up (mashed to a higher strength), than the same recipe which are not topped up. There is most probably different factors in play than just the topping up, but if I were you I'd try to eliminate that topping-up factor. An initial stronger wort will yield more maillard-products.
I'm not sure how much water will be required to add at either time. I have never been much of a calculating brewer. I usually have a decent guess at the ABV, but that's about it. So two hours of boiling at a medium boil will boil off about how much? I don't know, if it is half gal or so I don't think it will make much difference either way.

Back