How much does headspace effect carbonation levels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much headspace in the bottle will effect carbonation levels?

A few batches ago I bottled 24 beers that had a headspace ranging from 0.5" - 1". Most of the batch was ~0.75" but 3 of them are closer to 0.5".

Sense then I have changed my bottling methods to use a longer piece of tubing that hits the bottom of the bottle. This batch I measured all of my bottles headspace and found a range from 1" - 2.125". The average was 1.5" with 0.25" standard deviation.

I have read that having too small of a headspace will result in a lack of carbonation. Does anyone know how much is "too small". I'm also curious how this works - CO2 is going to be produced as a result of fermentation so why would headspace effect these levels?

Cheers :mug:

Does anyone know how much headspace in the bottle will effect carbonation levels?

A few batches ago I bottled 24 beers that had a headspace ranging from 0.5" - 1". Most of the batch was ~0.75" but 3 of them are closer to 0.5".

Sense then I have changed my bottling methods to use a longer piece of tubing that hits the bottom of the bottle. This batch I measured all of my bottles headspace and found a range from 1" - 2.125". The average was 1.5" with 0.25" standard deviation.

I have read that having too small of a headspace will result in a lack of carbonation. Does anyone know how much is "too small". I'm also curious how this works - CO2 is going to be produced as a result of fermentation so why would headspace effect these levels?

Cheers :mug:

Do you have one of these? They take all of the thinking out of it. When the bottle is full just pull the bottle away.

="www.midwestsupplies.com/plastic-spring-tip-bottle-filler.html

Do you have one of these? They take all of the thinking out of it. When the bottle is full just pull the bottle away.

="www.midwestsupplies.com/plastic-spring-tip-bottle-filler.html

Nope, I ended up with one of these:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermenter-s-favoritestm-plastic-bottle-filler.html

Which is 100% junk. The filler leaked constantly and a lot of times it didn't stop when you removed it from the bottom of the bottle.

The first time I bottled I used the spigot on my bottling bucket. The next few times I used a small piece of vinyl tubing that didn't reach all the way down to the bottom of the bottle. It wasn't ideal but I didn't have any extra vinyl tubing for a few batches and it worked alright.

Now I just use a long piece of vinyl tubing attached to the spigot. It creates ~1.5" headspace when I remove the tubing from the bottle. I just have to keep my hand on the spigot to control the flow.

Nope, I ended up with one of these:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermenter-s-favoritestm-plastic-bottle-filler.html

Which is 100% junk. The filler leaked constantly and a lot of times it didn't stop when you removed it from the bottom of the bottle.

I had that one too. Tip was gravity-operated--it would drip like crazy. I bottled over the open door of my dishwasher, and at the end of a bottling session there would be almost a bottle's worth of beer puddled in the door. I found a similar filler tube with a spring-loaded tip. Less dripping, would only lose a couple ounces after bottling 5 gallons.

\In before the "switch to kegging" crowd chimes in. :D

Mine doesn't drip much at all, but sometimes if I don't pay attention I might have an overflow on a bottle or two. :cross:

Back