How much do your 12 fl oz bottles weigh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know it sounds like a weird question, but I recently came across an old research paper from Ohio State University that examined the pressure at which common beer bottles will fail. The research used 12 oz bottles which weighed between 8-1/2 oz and 8-3/4 oz. Similar bottles here in Oz are around 200g or 7 oz. This includes current "European" brands like Peroni and Heineken

So, I was wondering if bottle making technology has changed and bottles are lighter than they used to be, or if the old research results can be applied to current bottles. I have been scratching around trying to get a definitive answer to how much pressure common bottles can take during heat pasteurisation. My own experiments seem to suggest that they can take over 200 psi in the short term without failing. This is consistent with the research paper findings.

The 200 psi is a lot higher than "folklore" (and perhaps prudence) suggests. However I also found an old post which claims that according to Grolsch, their bottles will handle 290 psi.

So, I would be interested to find out what your commonly available bottles weigh. From memory it seems to me that Bud, Coors, MGD etc are all about the same. If I can get some weights for your common bottles, I will spin the numbers and see what pops out.

Thanks in advance.

Back