How Much DME To Use In All Grain Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_in_beer

Reaction score
Hello! It's been some time since I have brewed and I will be doing a 50L all grain brew. My total all grain malt bill comes out to about 23 LBs so I was wondering, how much DME should I use to help increasing the ABV of the brew? Also, if I do not want it to add flavor, which DME is best? Thanks in advance for your help! :mug:

I've been under the impression that if your only goal is to increase ABV, add corn sugar, not DME. I've never done it, so not speaking from experience.

Normally i use 0lbs of DME in an all-grain brew. :D

Adding DME raises your starting gravity.
The yeast creates your ABV depending on a variety of factors (temperature, attenuation, mash temp).

Your question can not be answered as it is written.

1lb (454grams) of DME in a gallon (3.78liters) will increase the specific gravity by 44 units. (1.000 to 1.044). If you are adding DME for increasing gravity only, uses the lightest (lowest SRM) you can find.

Normally i use 0lbs of DME in an all-grain brew. :D

Adding DME raises your starting gravity.
The yeast creates your ABV depending on a variety of factors (temperature, attenuation, mash temp).

Your question can not be answered as it is written.

1lb (454grams) of DME in a gallon (3.78liters) will increase the specific gravity by 44 units. (1.000 to 1.044). If you are adding DME for increasing gravity only, uses the lightest (lowest SRM) you can find.

He's looking to increase ABV without affecting flavor drastically. I've heard of numerous people doing this with corn sugar. It'll raise the OG and won't impart off flavors to the final product.

He's looking to increase ABV without affecting flavor drastically. I've heard of numerous people doing this with corn sugar. It'll raise the OG and won't impart off flavors to the final product.

Corn sugar will absolutely impart flavors in beer...

The OP should post his recipe and objectives, and then people can help him with his partial mash recipe by making specific suggestions.

Corn sugar will absolutely impart flavors in beer...

The OP should post his recipe and objectives, and then people can help him with his partial mash recipe by making specific suggestions.

Like I said, I've never done it, just going off of heresay. I agree, more info would help.

corn sugar can really dry out your beer, and if you overdo it, it can give an unpleasant cider-like off-flavor.

He is describing partial mash or mini-mah - the DME is added in the boil to bring gravity up.

Hello! It's been some time since I have brewed and I will be doing a 50L all grain brew. My total all grain malt bill comes out to about 23 LBs so I was wondering, how much DME should I use to help increasing the ABV of the brew? Also, if I do not want it to add flavor, which DME is best? Thanks in advance for your help! :mug:

Why would you want to add DME to your brew? Instead of DME if you want higher OG, change your brewhouse efficiency. How? The easiest is to improve the crush. Second is to put everything but the grain into the fermenter.

It does depend on your brewing efficiency, but 1 lb of DME is approximatly equivelent to 1.5 lbs of grain.

Pilsner, extra light, light, and palere mostly base grains with 1% carapils from most manufacturers. Gold, amber, etc, usually have 10% crystal. Use the lightest extract you can.

Depending on your mash temp, and expected FG, extract may be less fermentable than you want. If you want any more than 75% attenuation, you might want to consider replacing a small amount of the extract with plain table sugar.

We really need to know your recipe, mash temp, mash efficiency, OG and FG (and probably other details also) to fully help you.

Latest posts

Back