How much did your kegerator cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I recently was out buying a new automatic washer and while I was shopping around I saw at one appliance store a kegerator. (I'm sorry to digress here, but I did spend a few moments there thinking "hmmm... clean clothes.... tap beer/tap beer.... clean clothes... Whoa, what am I thinking. SWMBO would kill me!).

So anyway, I'm having the same issues with this project as I did when I was deciding to go AG, and that's that I don't really like building things very much. Maybe that's not completely accurate. I don't mind assembling something if I've got all the parts and good plans/instructions on how to do it. (In a sense, then, I sort of did "build" my AG setup that I bought from Northern Brewer, as it did not arrive fully assembled).

Now, the problem is that the kegerators available in stores are sort of expensive-- $500-600, maybe? At the same time, though, I've been reading people's blogs and websites about building theirs and most of them, once they buy all the parts and stuff, seem to end up being pretty darn expensive. I suppose if you can score a really cheap fridge somewhere you can really save a big chunk there. Other than that, though, all the parts needed tend to add up.

Can I really save money to make one myself? Is it worth it?

keep an eye out on craigslist. They are always on the site for about half the price of new -- especially larger full size ones that people have converted

I lucked out, I get a Beverage Air BM23 for free, it was sitting next to the dumpster at work. Took it home, cleaned it up and it has worked fine ever since.

I would say buy one pre made but make sure you can put two cornies in there and it's got a double tap setup. A lot of those units only have one tap. I say buy because you don't seem to want to assemble much unless it's already in a kit form. The conversion will require you to measure, cut, drill, glue, seal, and do a bunch of other stuff I'm betting you don't care for. (not to mention buying tools)

The ones you see in stores for $500-600 are the mini fridges with one sanke tap. My full size fridge with 4 taps (the more expensive forward sealing), a manifold, and four ball lock kegs was around the same price. I could have easily saved $100-150 by using cheaper faucets and manifold. Decreasing the number of taps also reduces the cost more when you include shanks, kegs, and lines.

I am just enjoying the first beers poured from my keezer this evening. I spent:

$50 on freezer
$536 for kegerator/keezer hardware (this included 10# CO2 tank, 2 body regulator, 2 perlick forward closing faucets, 2 5 gallon corny kegs and all beer lines and shanks (pre-assembled), a temperature controller ($65) and the book that Todd Burns' (kegconnection.com) wrote ($24))
~$50 at lowes for collar materials

So i'm slightly over the $599-ish list price of a retail 2-3 corny kegerator, but I've a system that's expandable at ~$25 per corny and $35 per perlick faucet (plus beer lines). My keezer will support 4 cornies no problem and with some small mods (shelving inside) it could get up to 6. I feel no remorse for my purchases.

During the process I did shop craigslist for used kegerators. In the San Francisco Bay Area it seems that most people wanted $300+ for them. Generally these were cheapo 1-tap retail models that would have required at least $150-$300 worth of upgrades to get to 2 taps and would probably have maxed out at 3.

There was only one CL listing that I regretted NOT buying. It was a very retro probably 1960's era very curvy fridge with a two-tap setup. I passed because it was a couple of hours away, but as time went by and it was gone I decided I would have been happy to make the drive.

But that's CL, c'est la vie. I'm happy with what I have. Particularly happy this evening having enjoyed several of my first day's servings from my keezer. Spend what you have to man, it's worth it to pour yourself your own beer.

MikeInCtown said:
I would say buy one pre made but make sure you can put two cornies in there and it's got a double tap setup. A lot of those units only have one tap. I say buy because you don't seem to want to assemble much unless it's already in a kit form. The conversion will require you to measure, cut, drill, glue, seal, and do a bunch of other stuff I'm betting you don't care for. (not to mention buying tools)

I suppose if I had a conversion kit I wouldn't mind measuring, cutting, drilling, etc. I just don't want to be running all over the place trying to find parts.

Just look for a cheap fridge. You can also check thrift stores, Arc, etc. They have them once in a while for cheap. You will have to buy the kits but if you only want a single tap it's fairly inexpensive. I'm into mine $220 w/single tap(no tower), 20# CO2 cylinder and 2 cornies, full size fridge READY for expansion when I get the $$.

about 250 for my conversion including the fridge. But have have to be willing to do some work. I went cheap with the faucets, just a inline T for splitting the co2 line, 2 taps and a tower made from pvc from HD or lowes.

I bought a Haier single tap kegerator on clearance, with a gift card, for about $150. They're normally $500-ish, and completely not worth the expense. I have since spent at least another $200-ish converting it to a ball lock system, retrofitting a temperature controller (the stock thermostat sucks), adding a second tap, and making a tower cooler. I have to defrost it about once a month in a place where the relative humidity is rarely above 30% (tried many times to fix that...to no avail). It's a cheap mini-fridge, and it will always be a cheap mini-fridge.

I'm on the market for a chest freezer to convert to my dream machine with lots of taps and less issues.

McCall St. Brewer said:
I suppose if I had a conversion kit I wouldn't mind measuring, cutting, drilling, etc. I just don't want to be running all over the place trying to find parts.

I hear you. If that's where you're at then I would bide my time, scour Craigslist or whatever other outlets for selling used goods are available where you are. Wait for a decent price (compared to new) for the kegerator that has what you want or at the very least the potential to be what you want.

This was my approach for a few weeks, but once I had two beers in secondary that were ready to go, I had to accept the fact that I either had to bottle them (no thanks) or quit waiting for the perfect kegerator to show up and find a candidate for conversion and go for it.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm on the market for a chest freezer to convert to my dream machine with lots of taps and less issues.

yeah I'd like to make brewpaster's alter as well.... now only for the space!

$220 on eBay for two cornies, CO2 tank, regulator, lines/connections (all prices including shipping)
$80 Craigslist Sanyo
$114 for tap tower w/ two faucets
$58 for two Ventmatic faucets on eBay
= $472 for a kegerator and everything you need (vs empty 1-cheap-tap-no-co2-tank-no-keg-$600+-commercial kegerator)

+$80 stout faucet
$62 for 20cf nitrogen tank
$80 for nitrogen regulator, more hoses and fittings, quick disconnects
= $694 for nitrogen-dispensing ultra kegerator! :D

I would just like to add that you don't have to use a tower. You can buy a Sanyo and go with picnic taps and may be able to get it under a counter or use the top as a shelf\counter top. I have little room in the kitchen and house and this worked real well for me.

Chest freezer 9.2 cft: 125$ craigslist
4 used ball lock kegs 60$ (local friend)
10 lb co2 86$
double reg with double guage 99$..this was expensive but didn't want to go cheap in this area.
hose..4 disconects..2 cheap taps..extra parts..ect..(about 80$)
temp controller(free..gift)
4 shanks and 4 ss faucets(200$) This is what got me but hey I got top of the line regulator and faucets..the 2 most important parts..
4 way co2 (45$)
drip tray(15)

Total: over 700$:confused:

But hey 4 home brew beers on tap..it is well worth it:ban:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=60400

I could have done it all for probably under 500..but if you go through all the work and effort I wanted it to be all out:mug:

Note: i have plans to add a stour faucet and run beer gas(it never ends...)
J

Yuri_Rage said:
I bought a Haier single tap kegerator on clearance, with a gift card, for about $150. They're normally $500-ish, and completely not worth the expense. I have since spent at least another $200-ish converting it to a ball lock system, retrofitting a temperature controller (the stock thermostat sucks), adding a second tap, and making a tower cooler. I have to defrost it about once a month in a place where the relative humidity is rarely above 30% (tried many times to fix that...to no avail). It's a cheap mini-fridge, and it will always be a cheap mini-fridge.

After all your kick ass projects yuri, i just assumed you had a bitchin kegerator...

McCall St. Brewer said:

As one who ran all over the place trying to find parts, I concur!

I figure I spent around:
200 freezer
75 temp controller
90 kegs
30-50 wood, hardware for collar
30 hose
100 manifold, gauges, fittings
90 4 taps, shanks, hardware
125 tank and regulator

around 800 bucks... never added it up before, but I could have a pretty nice AR-15 pistol kit for that kinda dough.

Still, it is worth it!

It cost me just under $200 for mine. The fridge was free, and I already had the CO2 tank. It's got 2 taps and a manifold with 3 gas lines. I use the 3rd gas line for force carbing.

I had bought the kegerator before getting into homebrewing, so it was designed for sankey kegs from the start, though i've modified it since then...anyways

$110 for refrigerator/Freezer

$138 for 5 lb CO2 tank, Faucet, Shank, Gas + liquid Lines, Double Gauge Regulator. Included sankey tap(Useful since I have a few 1/6thbbl kegs and the occasional commercial keg)
$80 for an extra tap setup (including faucet, shank, tap, dual-gauge reg, etc)

All in all, the project cost about $300 and throw some kegs in as well.

Look up your local Maytag/Whirlpool or Appliance repair shop. They usually have some refurbished fridges and freezers that you can buy with a degree of haggling and still get a warranty. My fridge is plenty cold @ 38 so I didn't opt for a controller. It holds 5 cornies + 5lb CO2 tank.

EDIT: Beverage Factory is where I got the draft kit, though it is designed for sankey taps, so you'll need to make sure you get the HomeBrew Kit they offer. Otherwise you'll need to replace your lines or rig up a reduction (which involves modifying a 5/8" flare coupler)

EDIT AGAIN: I did all the conversion work myself. If you've got a drill and two wrenches and 1-2 hours, you can do this. The one part I needed to buy was a hole saw for the shank. I also got some Great Stuff! to fill in any cracks.

Conversion kit= $175 (this had the taps, gas tank, fittings, lines, ext)
Wood = $10
Chest Freezer (new, Sams Club) = $177
Paint, Insulation, caulk, ext = $10
4 Cornies - $150

Total = $522
Beer001.jpg

Kegerator006.jpg

I spent $300 on a used upright freezer. Added about $400 in faucets, secondary regs, check valves, etc. Total cost was easily $700+. But I have 5 beers on tap and 5 beers lagering at the same time in a small footprint area. The work involved wasn't all that difficult and I bought almost all the parts online, so I didn't have to drive around looking for things.

SixFoFalcon said:
About $600 plus the cost of 10 cornies. :)

Looks nice..I still need my drip tray and mine is all done..I must admit it really is freaking great having my own beer on tap..Almost as good as the first beer I ever made..brings me back

Jay

Back