Anyone use the Kegco 61" Commercial Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrousbird

Reaction score
So I built this about 10 years ago, 6 tap, 6 keg, stainless everything, all Perlicks, dual gas, and I didn't really spare much in the expense department at the time:
image.png

This happened in January:
20220115-072026.jpg

We are building a new house on our property and doing all the insurance BS. I will need to replace my Keezer and instead of building another, why not buy one that might be better than what I could rebuild? I use it for carbonated water (we drink a lot of it), commercial and homebrew beers. I'm considering this:
https://www.beveragefactory.com/draft-beer/kegerators/commercial/kegco-xck-2460s.html
Wondering if anyone had experience with this unit. Expensive - yes - but insurance paying someone to build me a custom Keezer is expensive too (I'm not giving any more free labor to insurance - it hasn't been the most pleasant experience). I've already built a 2 keg standup for carbonated water, but would sell it to upgrade to something like this.

While I can't speak to that specific unit, in my experience of several years doing sound-for-picture work and shooting in many bars and restaurants, as well as my first kegerator being a Continental KC24, I can say that all commercial kegerators are appreciably louder than a keezer or off-the-shelf consumer unit. I saved up my money and got Kegland's Series-X, and though some have complained that it's noisy, I persoanlly loved it as I could hear and feel the KC24 running and vibrating everywhere in my house, but the series-x is barely louder than my fridge. They do make the Series-X-Plus which purportedly holds 6-8 kegs, and if the insurance is covering it, I'd give it serious consideration before going with a commercial unit.
Very sorry for your loss, hope things work out.
:mug:

Whoa! That's terrible...
Hope everyone got out unscathed, including any pets.

I don't have any experience with that specific (commercial?) kegerator. We used something like that, an old one, at one of our outdoor events, with at least 10 taps on it. It's basically and air conditioner (on the left) keeping the kegs cold in the main cabinet.
They can be a bit noisy.

The stainless style is mostly very functional, such as in a commercial bar perhaps. It's not anywhere as beautiful as what you had. Maybe it can be worked into some settings/decors. And yes, it will save you much time and effort of building your own.

Now that package you linked to:
From what it looks, it comes with crappy chrome plated brass rear sealing faucets. And all the lines are vinyl. I don't see a "barebones" option on the webpage.
Definitely replace with EVA Barrier tubing and related push-fit connectors, etc. And upgraded faucets.

Whoa! That's terrible...
Hope everyone got out unscathed, including any pets.

I don't have any experience with that specific (commercial?) kegerator. We used something like that, an old one, at one of our outdoor events, with at least 10 taps on it. It's basically and air conditioner (on the left) keeping the kegs cold in the main cabinet.
They can be a bit noisy.

The stainless style is mostly very functional, such as in a commercial bar perhaps. It's not anywhere as beautiful as what you had. Maybe it can be worked into some settings/decors. And yes, it will save you much time and effort of building your own.

Now that package you linked to:
From what it looks, it comes with crappy chrome plated brass rear sealing faucets. And all the lines are vinyl. I don't see a "barebones" option on the webpage.
Definitely replace with EVA Barrier tubing and related push-fit connectors, etc. And upgraded faucets.
Yes, everyone escaped fine - and the garage mostly survived (so the boat did as well), but otherwise a total loss. I would be upgrading to the Perlick stainless faucets I previously had, proper tubing, etc. They sell a black version as well that's a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Noise, though, would be concerning, so I'll have to dig deeper into that.

They sell a black version as well
It doesn't look more appealing to me.
Everything that's black is just painted steel, which can be repainted in any color or design if you want. But remains rust prone.

Would you build another one like you had, if the insurance ponies up the moolah for one of these commercial things? Including reimbursement for the upgraded shanks, Perlick SS faucets, etc.

I second what Broken Crow is saying: avoid commercial refrigeration units in a residential setting.

I bought myself a stainless, commercial, counter-height, two door fridge (by True) off of an auction. I tried running it in our bar / living room but it has a completely unacceptable noise level (between 70-80 decibels when running, according to a phone app).

That fridge is now housed outside, in a custom-built greenhouse, and I pipe the beer through the wall. (Isolation is the best method of sound reduction!)

You really don't notice how loud those commercial units really are in their native (commercial bar/kitchen) locations. Definitely not something you want in your house, unless you are blasting music 24/7...

I would invest in the Kegland Series X (or something similar) if I were in your shoes! (Definitely confirm the volume level of whatever you are going to purchase before bringing it home!)

series-x is barely louder than my fridge. They do make the Series-X-Plus which purportedly holds 6-8 kegs, and if the insurance is covering it, I'd give it serious consideration before going with a commercial unit.
I second what Broken Crow is saying: avoid commercial refrigeration units in a residential setting.

I bought myself a stainless, commercial, counter-height, two door fridge (by True) off of an auction. I tried running it in our bar / living room but it has a completely unacceptable noise level (between 70-80 decibels when running, according to a phone app).

That fridge is now housed outside, in a custom-built greenhouse, and I pipe the beer through the wall. (Isolation is the best method of sound reduction!)

You really don't notice how loud those commercial units really are in their native (commercial bar/kitchen) locations. Definitely not something you want in your house, unless you are blasting music 24/7...

I would invest in the Kegland Series X (or something similar) if I were in your shoes! (Definitely confirm the volume level of whatever you are going to purchase before bringing it home!)

Good suggestion - something I wasn't aware of. Though I wish the Plus was a little bigger, it is still bigger than my Keezer and WAY easier to load being a front loader. Price doesn't seem that bad either from what I'm seeing - quite a bit cheaper than the Kegco commercial unit.

Back