How much corn sugar in volume is equal to one pound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooom101

Reaction score
I'm going to make a scaled down version of Edworts Apfelwein and don't have the means to measure a pound of corn sugar. Approximately how much should I use. I'm guessing somewhere around a cup.

Thanks for the help.

Two cups is close enough to a pound. It isn't an exact science so making a little more or a little less won't hurt you.

4 oz. corn sugar is 3/4 of a cup. a pound is 16 oz. ... so 1 pound of corn sugar is 3 cups.

I was always told that 1 cup is 8oz. Then I weighed it and found that my measuring 1 cup is close enough to 7oz to call it so. Make it heaping and two of them make 16oz. Weigh it out and you will see what I mean. This is the reason why so many people have a problem with how much to for priming and the reason why it is a good idea to weigh your priming sugar. Measuring cups are all different, which is why I mentioned just using two of them and calling it a pound.

This not being priming sugar, it doesn't matter as much, but three cups is definitely going to boost your alcohol quite a bit :mug:

I was always told that 1 cup is 8oz. Then I weighed it and found that my measuring 1 cup is close enough to 7oz to call it so. Make it heaping and two of them make 16oz. Weigh it out and you will see what I mean. This is the reason why so many people have a problem with how much to for priming and the reason why it is a good idea to weigh your priming sugar. Measuring cups are all different, which is why I mentioned just using two of them and calling it a pound.

1 cup is 8 fluid ounces no to be confused with ounces by weight. i find it hard to believe that everyone is wrong when they say 3/4 of a cup is 4 ounces by weight. all measuring cups are the same (or close to depending on quality) that's why you can use them to make recipes. as long as you fill to the line you have the same amount no matter what measuring cup your using. if you fill pas the line then yea your right you can have almost any amount of sugar. if you fill a measuring cup to the 1 cup line 3 times you will have a pound of corn sugar.

I think that both of you are correct. I think the variable that is difficult to control in measuring powder solids is the density. Measuring cups should be close enough to each other, but the amount that the solid is packed into it could make a big difference.

I ended up using somewhere between two and three cups of sugar. I realized after posting this that I could check the gravity and see if that was too much or too little.

Thanks for the help guys.

I think that both of you are correct. I think the variable that is difficult to control in measuring powder solids is the density. Measuring cups should be close enough to each other, but the amount that the solid is packed into it could make a big difference.

i can accept that.

Trying to measure powders by volume can be highly inaccurate. Think about investing in an inexpensive digital scale. You can buy a decent one for about $25 and it will also be very useful in the kitchen. Re how much I'm going to go with just under three cups.

Back