How much beer is in that beer line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
Ok, so I got bored, and I thought maybe I should do some practical math. So I was wondering, how much beer is in the beer line? Well, using our friend math, and the formula Volume = Pi * R Squared * Length, here's what I came up with.

fluid in line.JPG

I figured it out for a 10 foot line. Want to figure for your length? Divide by 10 and then multiply that by the length of your beer line in feet.

:mug:

VERY interesting. I never thought to figure it out but kind of wondered now and then. When I bottle from my keg I always take a small glass and take a pull to sort of flush out the line with beer that sat. I realize that is silly but then again, I drink it so there is no real waste.

If I run a line from the basement 2 floors up to the kitchen 65'. If the beer is kept at 34*F how cold will the first pour be in a 20oz glass?

If you use 3/16" line, the first 12oz of your beer will have been sitting in the lines for however long since your last pour. Which doesn't sound great...

Great chart, BTW!

Ok, so I got bored, and I thought maybe I should do some practical math. So I was wondering, how much beer is in the beer line? Well, using our friend math, and the formula Volume = Pi * R Squared * Length, here's what I came up with.

View attachment 242437

I figured it out for a 10 foot line. Want to figure for your length? Divide by 10 and then multiply that by the length of your beer line in feet.

:mug:

Good job on the math! I only checked the first one. Only reason I did is because I have a associates degree in math and 3/16 line.

And here I was being lazy and just reading the description on the line I bought:

Technical Specifications: 3/16" line provides 2.2 lbs of restriction per foot. Ideally pounds of resistance should equal pounds of applied pressure. 3/16" line holds 1/6 of an ounce per foot. PVC Free. 7/16" OD

Now to my horror I find I've actually had .17 oz more in those 10ft lines than I thought! ;)

And here I was being lazy and just reading the description on the line I bought

Damn kids these days, with their highfalutin fancy shmancy tubing with the writing on it. Surprised you didn't pull out your eye-fone and say "Siri, how much beer is in my lines?"

LOLZ, just kiddin'! :D

Damn kids these days, with their highfalutin fancy shmancy tubing with the writing on it. Surprised you didn't pull out your eye-fone and say "Siri, how much beer is in my lines?"

LOLZ, just kiddin'! :D

HA! nope, no eye phone in this house. As a matter of fact thanks Hello, I didn't get the reference at first.
I just pulled out my trusty old-lady reading glasses and read that there fine print for myself.
:D

Back