how much barley needed to convert 1 lb of flaked oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshortt

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to try a partial mash with some flaked oats. I know that oats do not contain the enzymes needed for conversion and will need to mash them with some base malts for the conversion.

My question is how many pounds of 2 row will I need to mash with 1 lb of flaked oats for conversion?

Thanks!

General rule is 1 lb of base malt for every pound of non-enzymatic grain. This will vary some, and you can get away with less on a lot of north american 2 row or 6 row since the enzymatic content is usually pretty high. I wouldn't push it unless you have a malt analysis sheet and know the enzymatic content, though.

What happens if you just steep flaked oats without any base malt?
No conversion. You'll only get flavor, no fermentable sugars.

You need to know the diastatic power of your grain. You can get that information from the maltster. To convert you need an average of 35 Lintner or more from your combined grains.

Steeping grains without converting will also lead to cloudiness. I'd use 6-row because of it's higher diastatic power, and use it at the previously mentioned 1:1 ratio. You could use less, but unless you have very limited space in whatever you're mashing in, why risk it?

The 1:1 rule is good for 2-row or 6-row and you won't need to worry about the Lintner as most 2-row run 110-160 and could be used 1:2, but why bother?

Back