How much baking soda to bring 12 pz of 4.02 pH beer to ~4.5 pH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
I just measured the pH of my finished and bottled Pils/lager at 4.02, which is rather low. How much baking soda (in grams, or fractions of grams) would I need to add to a 12 ounce bottle to raise it to 4.5 pH. I'd like to see if it tastes more mellowed at pH 4.5 than at 4.05, since to me it seems a bit tart, despite being in the bottles now for 2 months post fully achieved carbonation.

I will admit that I didn't fully decarbonate the sample before I got the 4.02 pH reading. Whatever decarbonation it got was due to my stirring the pH probe in it for a bit before taking my reading. Might the remaining carbonation be skewing my pH downward?

BTW, my first guess is to try adding 1/10 of a gram, mixing, and taking a new pH reading.

You need to decarbonate it fully.

What was the PH at the start of fermentation?

I once determined (at John Palmer's request) that 1 vol of CO2 would displace the pH of beer down by 0.1 pH. To do that I must have had a value for the buffering of beer but don't remember where I got it or what it was. Perhaps Kai measured it?

I once determined (at John Palmer's request) that 1 vol of CO2 would displace the pH of beer down by 0.1 pH. To do that I must have had a value for the buffering of beer but don't remember where I got it or what it was. Perhaps Kai measured it?

So due to not removing all of the carbonation my 4.02 was likely a bit of a lowball pH measurement.

Yes, it would depress the measurement somewhat but most of the CO2 escapes early when beer is disturbed so I wouldn't expect it to be shifted by much. Less that 0.1 anyway,

A PH that low is rather odd for Lager yeast isn’t it? Certain ale yeasts will get that low but generally not Lager I didn’t think. PH meter is recently calibrated?

A PH that low is rather odd for Lager yeast isn’t it? Certain ale yeasts will get that low but generally not Lager I didn’t think. PH meter is recently calibrated?

Calibrated in 4 and 7 buffers right before taking the reading. Yeast was W-34/70.

Back