How much alcohol should i expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phattnug

Reaction score
Hey guys i need a rough estimate to what 2 cups of sugar in 2 litres of water how much alcohol should i expect?

Cheers stay drinkin

estimating 2 cups granulated sugar = 400g (online calculator), in 2L, that gives 20% (%=g/100L), or 20 brix. Every 1 degree brix gets you about 4 gravity points, so your solution is about 1.080 in gravity. since it's all simple sugar, there will be 100% attenuation, giving a FG less than 1.000; i am guessing at 0.992-4. plugging that into an online alcohol % calculator gives about 10.5-11.5% abv depending on how low you put the FG.

You're not actually fermenting 2L of water with 2 cups of sugar in it, are you?

Dinnerstick is right, but that doesn't mean you'll get ~11% of something that you will actually enjoy drinking. What is the plan?

Hey guys i need a rough estimate to what 2 cups of sugar in 2 litres of water how much alcohol should i expect?

Cheers stay drinkin

Based on this alone you will get NO alcohol. That would require yeast.

Agreed that if you ferment sugar and water you will not likely get a drinkable result if that is your aim.

Based on this alone you will get NO alcohol. That would require yeast.

Agreed that if you ferment sugar and water you will not likely get a drinkable result if that is your aim.

I have yeast in there guys haha. I had a taste today taste nice as! i can taste the apple slices i have added and it smells strongly of apples and alcohol i am not sure what this actuly is but i will go ahead and call it an apple cider :cross:

I should have added that i used yeast i must have sounded like a complete nut job saying i am just fermenting water and sugar :drunk:

Cheers guys stay drinkin

^ nah, it still sounds wacky.

What you're making is apple flavored prison hooch.

^ nah, it still sounds wacky.

What you're making is apple flavored prison hooch.

If it taste alright I am happy and 1 week and 2 days into fermentation it taste great so i will stick with calling it apple cider that is what it reminds me of.

The fact that you're fermenting sugar water instead of a grain-based wort (beer) or fruit-/honey-based must (wine/mead/cider).

What kind of yeast did you pitch? Depending on the yeast, it may or may not survive long enough to ferment all the way to 100% attenuation, meaning you may or may not actually get the ~11% ABV being calculated. If it goes down all the way, you'll suddenly have zero sugar in your hooch, and it won't taste nearly as nice as it currently does.

Fermenting pure sugar water is a great way to make a DIY CO2 pump for a planted aquarium, but it seems like an unpleasant way to get a buzz. It's prison hooch, maybe the sort of thing an enterprising (but stupid) high schooler might do in his bedroom so he could get a buzz under mom and dad's nose, but that's about as classy as sugar water booze is gonna get.

Bakers yeast I have been using was the cheapest at my local home brewing shop.

Thanks for that information but I don't believe my brew will be disgusting i am sure it will be great to drink. The apple slices give the brew a great apple cider taste that i know i will enjoy. Calling my product inferior is just offensive in my eyes if done right it will be good if i where to be making "hooch" If that was my intention to brewing some cheap **** to get pissed in under me mums nose, I would not have taken sanitizing into account and i would not be heating my brew for fermentation and taking steps to flavor it accordingly to my liking, Sound like everyone has something against making a cheap drink maybe you guys have all the knowledge in home brewing but as for me i am only on my second batch and my first grape sugar and yeast fermentation worked just perfect and even my mother enjoyed the beverage if it works for me then fine but to call my product hooch is just down right mean in my own opinion but who knows this is most likely hooch but damn it will taste good and get me a good drunk at the end. All i am doing is fermenting sugar and red green and sour apples fresh apples from me uncles backyard what the hell is so bad about that? haha

PS: When I first started i didn't know where to post, Just realized i am in a beer thread

Cheers stay drinkin

Bakers yeast I have been using was the cheapest at my local home brewing shop.

Thanks for that information but I don't believe my brew will be disgusting i am sure it will be great to drink. The apple slices give the brew a great apple cider taste that i know i will enjoy. Calling my product inferior is just offensive in my eyes if done right it will be good if i where to be making "hooch" If that was my intention to brewing some cheap **** to get pissed in under me mums nose, I would not have taken sanitizing into account and i would not be heating my brew for fermentation and taking steps to flavor it accordingly to my liking, Sound like everyone has something against making a cheap drink maybe you guys have all the knowledge in home brewing but as for me i am only on my second batch and my first grape sugar and yeast fermentation worked just perfect and even my mother enjoyed the beverage if it works for me then fine but to call my product hooch is just down right mean in my own opinion but who knows this is most likely hooch but damn it will taste good and get me a good drunk at the end. All i am doing is fermenting sugar and red green and sour apples fresh apples from me uncles backyard what the hell is so bad about that? haha

PS: When I first started i didn't know where to post, Just realized i am in a beer thread

Cheers stay drinkin

Is this guys serious?

Gross. Sorry bud, I can't help you on this. Sugar water plus baker's yeast is hooch. Adding some apple slices doesn't really make it cider.

I think the reason that you are getting a negative reaction here is that people on this forum tend to take great pride in the creation of their beverages. A sugar wash (the proper term for what you are making) is most often brewed with the intention of illegally distilling it into a spirit, likely another reason for the negative feedback... It is also regarded as the simplest way to brew something that will get you drunk, which is honestly going in the opposite direction from what we as home brewers are trying to be recognized for. But yeah it will work fine, keep in mind that bakers yeast has terrible flocculation and you should expect over 2 inches of sludge at the bottom that will not compact.

I think I saw a Steel Reserve clone recipe somewhere once.

Even that would get support here, just not fermented hummingbird food.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sound like everyone has something against making a cheap drink maybe you guys have all the knowledge in home brewing but as for me i am only on my second batch

I don't think anyone here has a problem with crafting a quality beverage that happens to cost little to produce. You have to understand, that is different than what you are doing.

I get that you are just starting out and looking to experiment. First things first, though. Learn the ropes while using recipes or kits that have been tested and proven. Then you can branch out, and you'll have a) a well defined and successful process, and b) a baseline for comparison so you know exactly how certain changes impact your end product.

Since we are about crafting beer, wine, mead, and cider (whether inexpensive or not), and this thread is not on topic with "fermentation & yeast" and is going nowhere, it will be closed at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back