How many?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
How many sours do you have going at once? Currently reading American Sours.... Would love to see some pics of how your storing as well. I personally don't have a basement and minimal house space, thinking fermentation chamber in the garage.

I have three active and one I just bottled. I bottled an 18 month and 6 month solera with cherries. Still to bottle a 12 month farmhouse with primary fermented with almanac dregs and aged in oak. Then two small experimental projects, one with sourdough culture and one a hoppy sour.

6 currently taking up most of my office closet. I usually have 4 at a time, but I got a little brew happy lately.

I have two 5 gallon batches, one 3 gallon on 4 lbs Raspberries and a 1 gallon Wee Heavy barrel infected that was kindly given to me.

Have a ECY20 and 2 empty Better Bottles, so 10 more gallons by next month.
I primary in my fermentation chamber and then long term storage in an unused bedroom that stays around 68*.

I'm a little over half way through the book myself. It definitely re-inspired me. Brewed 3 gallon batches of Flanders Red with Roeselare and Daison with dregs. ECY20 arrived in the mail today, but it may sit for a few weeks.

I also did some "research" and now have a growler dedicated to brett-only dregs and another inoculated with only lacto to use for dosing future batches.

All these are nestled in a corner of my basement.

I just dumped a sour cherry wit which I added too many cherries to and thinned it out. But the bug collection of (New Glarus R&D, Boon, Drei Fontenein and others) was tasting excellent so it's keeping residence in a gallon jug. It was also used to inoculate the above saison.

My goal is to limit myself to 3-4 three gallon carboys sequestered for aging. I have a pin lock corny and Scotty used for such beers to keep separate from my ball-lock clean beers. (Picked that idea up from someone on HBT)

None yet but brew day is next weekend. I am almost through "Wild Brews" and I have a copy of American sours that I am hoping to maybe finish before brew day if I can. I have no less than 10 bottles ready to harvest dregs from. I can't decide whether to pitch am regular saccaromyces along with dregs or to make a starter this weekend with dregs to be ready for brew day...

I have four active and 3 bottled.

I have 15 going right now, from beers i just pitched a few days ago to over a year old, and i have 4 more no chill containers waiting for me to free up fermentor space this weekend, and i will be being enough wort for 2-3 more this weekend. Ill be adding at least one 15gal batch plus probably 1-2 more smaller batches per month this next year.

They are in various places around the house, in many stages of fermentation. I plan to go pro in a few years so....this is actually business research, not obsession....at least that's my story

4 going right now, all less than 3 months old.
2, 3 gallon carboys from a batch of saison I brewed in november, these were pitched on cakes from my old batches. One rosalaire and one with a combo from other batches
One is a 5 gallon lambic style with ECY20, the other is a 5 gallon extract batch I through together quickly to reuse the ECY20 cake. Still have a half vial left, probably make a dark beer with it.
I currently have 2 bottled, both made from rosalaire/dregs, one is still carbing, the other is about 1.5 years in the bottle.
Just finished off a keg of brett aged belgian pale last night. I am upset to see it go.

If we're only counting true SOURS I have a Lamebic, a franken Sour Stout (bourbon barrel imperial oatmeal stout plus bugs), and a Flanders Red, all at ~5 gallons. I also have 3 gallons of spontaneously fermented cider (unpasteurized, orchard fresh, and left to do its thing with the naturally present yeast). I also have a Lamebic in bottles.

If we're including Brett beers (without other bugs) I have an Ordinary Bitter and Old Ale each aging in secondary w/ Brett C (~5 gal each). And then I have a couple bottles of a few-year-old Brett B Tripel left, along with about a case and a half of Brett C English Barleywine in bottles too.

I picked up the book over the holidays. Haven't read it yet.

I have a 5 gallon barrel full of sour red, a 15 gallon barrel full of funky saison (split with my brother), 2x5g lambics, a 1g lambic for blending, and 5 gallons of tart cherry sour saison.

I've got two soleras: a 30 gal barrel of Flanders Red that I recently pulled 10 gal out of (1.5 yrs) and a half barrel sankey of Lambic that I started with 5 gal that was a year old. 5 gal of the solera pull was bottled straight, 2.5 gal was blended with an all Brett L red and went on tap, and 2.5 gal is aging with tart cherries and pinot noir. I also have in carboys 5 gal sour pale with JP dregs, 5 gal sour saison, 5 gal sour stout, 5 gal sour dubbel and 2.5 gal Oude Bruin with raspberries and med char french oak that's almost ready to bottle. Bottled I have the other half of the Oude Bruin, the solera beer, Gose, Brett L finished Dubbel, and Brett B finished Trippel. Should have a batch of Brett Saison with the Yeast Bay Beersel blend going by the end of the weekend.

Roughly 40 gallons stored in 1 and 2.5 gallon fermenters. Most are in my crawl space.

Age between a few months and a few years ...... got to bottle some real soon.

Various bug mixes.

5 gallons on fruit.

Awesome! Thanks for the inspiration... My goal is to do one quarterly for next 1-1.5 years, so I have an established pipeline... Then try maintain it. Any pics?!

Six going right now. 2 with ECY01, one with TYB Melange, two with De Bom, and one with De Bom plus a Brett blend fermented cooler to minimize the sourness.

I have a few in bottles too.

Roughly 40 gallons stored in 1 and 2.5 gallon fermenters. Most are in my crawl space.

I have a couple 1 gallon batches set aside... how do you blend/bottle these to avoid too much oxygen and splashing? Just pour out of the 1 gallon jug gently?

To Answer the OP's question: 15 gallons of different Flander's style recipes with ECY01, 02, and De Bom. 5 gallons of turbid mash lambic on ECY20. A couple 1 gallon test batches with a mix of dregs. Soon I'll be kegging a little bit and moving some to 3 gallon carboys for future blending.

I have one in bottles. Three more at various stages of aging. They are all over the house. One on the landing to the third floor of my house, one in a spare bedroom and one in the basement in a cooler of water with an aquarium heater to get it warmer.

If you count brett brews I have three more of those going, and several that are bottled.

I have a couple 1 gallon batches set aside... how do you blend/bottle these to avoid too much oxygen and splashing? Just pour out of the 1 gallon jug gently?

To Answer the OP's question: 15 gallons of different Flander's style recipes with ECY01, 02, and De Bom. 5 gallons of turbid mash lambic on ECY20. A couple 1 gallon test batches with a mix of dregs. Soon I'll be kegging a little bit and moving some to 3 gallon carboys for future blending.

I don't blend. I see no reason to. I like them the way they are. Not had a bad one yet.

3 going currently, 2 more on deck (bugs in hand, just need a little warm weather.)

Just get a large cooler and a good aquarium heater. I have one fermenting now in my 58 degree basement, and it is at 80 degrees. Works great.

Getting my first two going tonight, one gallon batch will be lacto brevis and Brett can't remember which on pitch lacto for a week or so then pitching Brett after, the other is whitlabs belgian sour mix that is just going to pitch and see what happens can't wait for this journey

I have one. My first one gallon test batch, figured I'd start small to minimize loss if I don't get things right in the beginning. Very much looking forward to adding more over the coming weeks.

3 five gallon batches. On Flanders red, one lambic, and one using the same wort as the lambic but pitched roeselare. Looking to get a eight gallon batch of a sour brown going soon as well.

I have four 5gal carboys with 2 lambics, a second running stout with raspberries, and a sour farmhouse. I also have a 15 gallon barrel full of a Flemish red that is nearing completion, so I'm planning on 15 gallons of a dark sour to fill it back up.

I try to do one every three months to keep the pipeline going, but it sure is tempting to brew more often.

I also don't have a basement, but I live in San Francisco so I don't have to worry about ambient temps much. The carboys are in the corner of my dinning room, and the barel is in the corner of the living room. If I had any more space, I'd buy more carboys...

I am way behind everyone else. I have 5 gallons of a Consecration clone that is at the 6 month mark with at least 6 left to go. I made it the day after I tasted the first bottle of my first batch of it. I had made a Belgian Blonde that I was going to sour with cherries, but I enjoyed the unsoured taste too much and bottled it. I have every plan to get another one going so I can have one ready every 6 months or so.

3 sours. An 18 month old sour blonde on apricot, a two month old "lambic", and a 9 month old sour stout.
Also a 6 month old brett saison if we're counting all wild beers.

7 that are between 6 months to a year and are all brewed with blends of sacc, brett, and bacteria, plus 6 more that were brewed with a sacc strain then had brett pitched in the secondary.

I have 4 one gallon batches:
1. Belgian Golden Strong Ale with WLP500 and RR Sanctification dregs all pitched at once.
2. ESB pitched with ECY17 Burton Union (awesome yeast btw) and Orval dregs, and then CS St. Bretta dregs after 4 days. This one is already very sour! Those CS bugs are no joke.
3. Belgian Pale Ale pitched with ECY09 Belgian Abbaye along with a big CS Surette starter, and then JP Fuego del Otono dregs after 2 days.
4. The "Sour American" recipe from pg. 326 of American Sour Beers, brewed to a "T", and pitched with ECY20 Bug County.

And then one 5.5 gallon batch of #4 from above, which is my first all-sour full sized batch.
I wanted to make a miniature batch for more frequent tastings.

I also drank a bottle of JP Calabaza Blanca during brew day yesterday, left about 1" in the bottle, and then filled with the lambic brew
and swished out the ECY20 bottle into it - shoved a #2 stopper with an airlock into the top. Does that count?

Latest posts

Back