How many square feet is your home brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoengine

Whale Noun Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
tldr, For those with two or three vessel breweries, how many square feet (or meters) do you devote to your brewery operations?

I am beginning some long term planning for enhancing my brewing capabilities. Right now I BIAB on my covered patio, that is about 8'x6' usable space. Since it is a single vessel this works great, and the patio cover accommodates my pulley system well. However I am thinking about what I want to do a few years from now, I think I will end up with a eHERMS sysem eventually, and I will need to move this inside.

I have a 12'x20' detached workshop that will house my brewing operations, but it is a shared space, and I will need to really think hard about what will stay and what will go to make room. I guess it is my five year plan.

So that brings me to the question: how much space do you devote to your brewery? Do you find this limiting, or maybe excessive? Does the width or even height make a big difference? Was there anything you learned that really impacted utilization of the space?

Thanks for sharing with me. Hopefully this can help others as well.

not big enough... i brew in an unfinished section of my basement.

actual brew area is about 7x6.

but i also have another baker's rack (2x4) in the back that is mostly misc stuff.

and 2 chest freezers in another room (3x12)

My brew area is about 6' x 12'. In that I have a sink, bench on which the kettles sit, a large and a small refrigerator as ferm chamber, a conical fermenter, a chiller. I have a rolling 3'x1.5' cabinet (5 square feet) in another part of the space.

In the basement I have an area about...oh, maybe 25 square feet devoted to my mill and bucket storage.

Would I like to have more? Sure. In OP's case, a 10x12 area would seem to be pretty OK.

Last edited:
I have a similarly sized space, a detached one-car garage. It houses my shop, tools and my brewery.
I have approximately 8 x 15 brewery space(3 vessel) with 4 x 8 walk-in fermentation chamber/grain storage.
In this space I have two tables with under shelves, a large utility sink and 6tap kegerator. Lots of wall shelves for storage of cleaning items and such.
I don't BIAB, so height isn't really an issue, but there is no ceiling in the brewery area if I wanted to go that direction.

I have a similarly sized space, a detached one-car garage. It houses my shop, tools and my brewery.
I have approximately 8 x 15 brewery space(3 vessel) with 4 x 8 walk-in fermentation chamber/grain storage.
In this space I have two tables with under shelves, a large utility sink and 6tap kegerator. Lots of wall shelves for storage of cleaning items and such.
I don't BIAB, so height isn't really an issue, but there is no ceiling in the brewery area if I wanted to go that direction.
Did you build the walk-in yourself?

Did you build the walk-in yourself?

Yes, I did. I used a portable air conditioner and gently moved the evaporator similarly to build a glycol chiller from an ac. The evaporator is interior with the condenser/compressor in the brewery space. I removed all of the control circuitry and built it out with an inkbird and relays.
It is insulated in the walls and ceiling with fiberglass then solid panels over them.
I will put up some pics after I'm home from work.

The actual brewery (brewstand, chest feezer fermenter, large commercial sink, SS table) is 10x10, but I have the grain, mill, extra carboys, bottling eq, etc. in a different room.

Somewhere around 200 square feet I reckon...

brewery_layout_sm.jpg

Cheers!

Mine is an alcove of my basement. Around 8ft wide, and i utilize a space about 6-8feet deep, so i would say 8x8? There i have a 24x48 stainless table with 3 vessel 10 gallon herms kettles, a 4 tap Keezer, and 2 Haier Wine fridges for fermentation. I will be building a bar in front of the brewing area so the brew table and wine fridges will be directly behind the bar, and the Keezer will be built in and tucked under. Overall the space should take up around 10x8

So I converted the boat shed to the brewery. It tallies up at 30'x30'. It has hot and cold running water, heat and air, and room to expand my current 3 vessel rig. :)
Eric

I brew in a 10x8 laundry room. My equipment sits on a 3x5 table. I use the sink (not pictured - behind me) for chill water source and clean up. I unplug the dryer and plug in my induction cooktop to brew. My ferm fridge is in the basement next to the side by side I use to cold condition (freezer side) and serve from (fridge side).

Attachments

• 6B19F152-6C2E-4F47-99C9-70C2245D8285.jpeg
    6B19F152-6C2E-4F47-99C9-70C2245D8285.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • 7B9687E2-40D1-4192-925A-CC614513C533.jpeg
    7B9687E2-40D1-4192-925A-CC614513C533.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I brew in a townhouse galley kitchen (mash and boil in 10 gallon kettle on stovetop, stovetop HLT for sparge, separate lauter tun.) All equipment stashes under the basement stairs, along with all the bins of malt. What takes up permanent floor space is the fermentation fridge, lagering chest freezer, and keezer, but they're against the walls of one corner of the basement, so not really in the way.

So I guess since the "brewery" is just an intermittent configuration of the kitchen, it's arguably 0 square feet!

@brewbama I love your hood!

I was going to plan on doing some expensive upgrades to the garage to make it suitable for three vessel indoors, but those plans are on hold because the wife is uncertain how much longer we'll be using this place as our primary residence. So I told her I'll need some dedicated space for brewing somewhere. We'll see what happens.

Mine's a 30ft x 6ft room under my house with three fridges, a freezer, a sink, ferment chamber and lots of shelf space. What I'm most proud of is that every bit of it was dug out by myself using a pick and shovel (through softish, crumbly rock) taking it from 3ft headspace to 7ft. It took over a year of digging. It's now a functional space with a concrete floor and lots of table tops for walls (they were being thrown away from the school I work at).

Latest posts

Back