How many pounds of Sugar/Sucrose per gallon of water = 22% ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfsfriend42

Reaction score
I want to do a pure ethanol fermentation using Water + Sugar/Sucrose. How many # of Sugar is needed per gallon of water to = 22% ABV?

Sincerely,
Wolfsfriend42

To be clear, you're looking for 22% ABV, without distilling? By my calculations, you'd need about 2.99 lbs table sugar in one gallon of solution. Note: That's one gallon of solution, not one gallon of water. The sugar adds volume, so the amount of water would be less... about 0.78 gallons of water by my calcs. Converting that to sugar per gallon of water, it would be about 3.83 lbs.

Select your yeast strain wisely.

If yer making this to drink without distilling, it will be so nasty as to be undrinkable.

If yer distilling, shoot for 7 or 8% abv. It will ferment out MUCH cleaner and ferment in a fraction of the time.

Why not spend a little money and make a batch of beer from extract? Buy a jug of liquid malt extract, dissolve in the water while heating, bring to a boil, cool, then pitch yeast. Most extract brewers also use steeping grains to add dimension and color, but I think a batch made only with extract could yield quaffable beer.

I don't know if it's practical to achieve 22% ABV this way, but you could get ~18% or so. With my back-of-the-napkin math, you'd need about 4 lbs LME per gallon to get an OG of around 1.140. A high-alcohol-tolerant dry yeast, like SafAle HA-18 could do it. That yeast can attenuate down 97%, which would give a final gravity of about 1.005, with an alcohol content of about 18%.

I want to do a pure ethanol fermentation using Water + Sugar/Sucrose. How many # of Sugar is needed per gallon of water to = 22% ABV?

Sincerely,
Wolfsfriend42
Last time this was asked we found out the kid was 13 years old and trying to make hooch.

Wait till your older to start drinking and enjoy being a kid!

Alcohol is for adults. :)

Cheers

If yer making this to drink without distilling, it will be so nasty as to be undrinkable.

that's what i always assumed too, but with some oj it's actually not too bad, tastes like watered down orange juice....but i'm only going to 7%-8%.....

22% would probably have some serious bite to it...?

edit: in fact i'm drinking 2 bottles of vodka (1.75lx2) in a keg with 1 gallon OJ, topped up with water...and honestly i prefer the sugar wash with just a 1/2 gallon juice taste wise, for some reason this tastes greasy?

Goodness at all the nay-sayers. LMAO

Where in my original question did I ever mention or imply that I wanted to "Drink" this ethanol? I am going for maximum production of ethanol per batch. This ethanol will be used as Fuel & Disinfectant, not for drinking. In the USA I can legally produce 10,000 gallons of fuel ethanol if I adulterate it with 2% of either dyed Diesel or Kerosene. I need to get at least 20% ABV in the fermentation to get 1gal of 96.4% ABV upon distillation from a 5-gallon batch.

You all need to learn to start thinking "outside the box". LOL
Also, it is possible to then go to 100% Ethanol by using solar cells for the electricity & Peltiers for the cooling to remove the solid water ice, just so you all know...

Last edited:

Where in my original question did I ever mention or imply that I wanted to "Drink" this ethanol? I am going for maximum production of ethanol per batch. This ethanol will be used as Fuel & Disinfectant, not for drinking. In the USA I can legally produce 10,000 gallons of fuel ethanol if I adulterate it with 2% of either dyed Diesel or Kerosene. I need to get at least 20% ABV in the fermentation to get 1gal of 96.4% ABV upon distillation from a 5-gallon batch.

Also, it is possible to then go to 100% Ethanol by using solar cells for the electricity & Peltiers for the cooling to remove the solid water ice, just so you all know...
Awesome. So your not a 13 year old trying to make hooch. This makes me feel a lot better. Would you mind explaining your process and what you are doing with it. Sounds like a cool project.
Also did you figure out your 22% ABV wash? Its doable but tends to stall about 20% even with the right Turbo yeast in my experience. I can get it there but I have to massage it a little..

Cheers
Jay

Making fuel in one gallon batches? And getting your techniques / information from home brewers? Go ahead, pull the other one...

Back