How many people have you converted into homebrewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
So far I'm at 3 people in my 4 years of brewing. 2 buddies and my dad all brew on their own now. How about you? How many people have you converted to the dark side of homebrewing?

Zero so far.

However I have given several people a taste for homebrew. They just like to drink mine.

I do like to assist beginners that make their way to this site for help.

I'm working on 2, both have at least some of the equipment, piecing it all together. Trying to get others, have a couple that show interest.

Only two that I know of, my brother and BIL. That was a few months after they tried my first couple of attempts with extract kits. Must have been ok. I remember my Irish stout came out very well!

my brother got me in it, and because we were doing it my bro-in-law started. don't want to take responsibility for a group effort!

Two that I know of. My brother in law has brewed a couple times (once with me, once without me) but doesn't do it often, and a coworker picked it up after hearing me talk about it. He's done a couple beers, but he mostly does ciders.

Only 1 that has stuck with it for the long haul. My dad would be the 2nd, but he's only brewed about 4 batches in the last 2 years. I think he enjoys picking up what's new and fresh from his favorite breweries too much to put in the time and energy to brew his own. That's fine. Brewing is hard to do really well, it's not for everyone.

Brewing is as hard as falling off a log. It's in trying to have a good result everytime that the difficulty shows up.

I think the better you get at it, the more critical you become. In my case, it's hard and gets harder and harder all the time as my palate gets more refined. I used to think my beer was great 6 years ago but I've gotten a lot harder to please. I used to like drinking the same beer day in and day out. Anymore, I find I appreciate it most if I don't drink off one of my kegs for a couple days. It's kind of strange actually, but whatevs.
Just sayin', it's a hobby that is like playing an instrument or being involved in a craft - you never perfect it and you become more critical of yourself as you improve. I'm a bit of a perfectionist...

I think the better you get at it, the more critical you become. In my case, it's hard and gets harder and harder all the time as my palate gets more refined. I used to think my beer was great 6 years ago but I've gotten a lot harder to please. I used to like drinking the same beer day in and day out. Anymore, I find I appreciate it most if I don't drink off one of my kegs for a couple days. It's kind of strange actually, but whatevs.
Just sayin', it's a hobby that is like playing an instrument or being involved in a craft - you never perfect it and you become more critical of yourself as you improve. I'm a bit of a perfectionist...

Entirely agree with this.

I am unbelievably hard on myself about my brewing. I measure fastidiously, and rarely do I accept "close enough" or "good enough". Even my best beers I still seek ways to improve them.

I am really surprised at how hard it is to get people into brewing - I know a lot of foodies that really get into working in the kitchen; you'd think the same thing would apply to folks who crave 'craft beer' but it doesn't. Weird.

I am really surprised at how hard it is to get people into brewing - I know a lot of foodies that really get into working in the kitchen; you'd think the same thing would apply to folks who crave 'craft beer' but it doesn't. Weird.

they do, i am an example. my kitchen is the only room in my house i give my attention. for new brewers and prospects, i would rather be upfront and tell them: it is not cheap. after the ferm chambers, all the equipment it is around $1000 to get started. these "mr beer" products that think you can make good beer for $50 are possible, but not giving the budding brewer the whole story.... if you want to brew all year long, in any place that isnt always 68 degrees, its a grand. period. and up (for new equip. sale and hand me down are likely cheaper).

i have only "converted" 2 people. on the other hand, i have converted numerous ppl to hammock camping. but that is another story for another time.

I've converted people from extract to AG and enabled some through lending or gifting equipment but havnt some much created any new brewers

None. I decided I wanted to go it alone anyway. There's s couple folks who want to watch me brew, which we all know means "drink your beer while you work". No thanks.

Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. But the few people at work who know that I homebrew automatically assume that since I know how to brew beer, that I could show them how to distill moonshine. :smack:

2 that I know of. One of my good friends from work is a similarly foodie/beer geek type. I'd been telling him for years that he should take up brewing. For a long time he said he didn't have the time (he was in night school while working full time), didn't have the space (he wanted to jump straight into AG), etc. Eventually he decided "you know what, I think I'll ask my brother to get me a beginner's kit for my birthday." He jumped in pretty quickly from there.

My FIL is retired and doesn't have much to do during the day. He is more interested in wine than beer, but he got started doing kit winemaking after watching me homebrew. I count that.

My now-BIL started brewing shortly after he started dating my sister. I didn't convert him into HBing, but I gave him pointers as he was getting started. We still bounce ideas off each other a lot, although we have pretty different brewing styles.

Zero. Whenever I start talking about process with friends, family, co-workers, I can see their eyes glaze over in about 5 seconds. It's funny but I'm always just a little surprised.

Just one. Sold my buddy my old equiptment 2 years ago. Getting ready to fab him up a three tier stand once he moves into his new house.

I haven't converted anyone to home brewing, but have converted about 12 people to home brew drinking. It is just not their own beer that they are enjoying.

Two, but I have many more asking me questions every time they drink my beer. Soon I'll have the entire world brewing!!!

People will come to my place on a brew day super stoked and I take them through the entire AG process. Most punk out after a few hours, some make it through the process and pitch yeast with me. None have taken up the hobby after seeing the time and patience it takes. They are more than happy to drink it though :).

People will come to my place on a brew day super stoked and I take them through the entire AG process. Most punk out after a few hours, some make it through the process and pitch yeast with me. None have taken up the hobby after seeing the time and patience it takes. They are more than happy to drink it though :).

That's why I got people's feet wet with extract. Most of my friends still hate it when I do AG.

A neighbor that has become a friend made home brew years ago and it wasn't a great experience. He has recently developed a fondness for applejack however (mine), so he qualifies as a cider maker now as he is making his own.

Back